... without knowing that I was about to write a lit review, as a (foreign) grad student in musicology (Univ of Illinois) in the 70s, I tried to answer in writing:
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT a given (xyz) TOPIC? It was overwhelming! So, the first thing you want to focus on is the WHAT part, as well as how much, who are the readers/learners, and why you are doing this. Then comes the craft that we learn (typically in lib schools--should be extended across all colleges and professional schools) about the ways we construct lit reviews (AKA meta analysis of results in a given discipline, on a subtopic, etc.). Katherine's matrix is an excellent way to conceptualize that HOW part of constructing and writing LR.
Also looking at ARIST chapters might help :-)

Zorana Ercegovac