Marie L. Radford Named New LIS Department Chair at Rutgers

New Brunswick, N.J. -- As of January 1, 2012, Dr. Marie L. Radford has been named the Chair of the Department of Library and Information Science at the School ofCommunication and Information (SC&I) at Rutgers University. Over a three-year term, Radford will oversee and coordinate the Master of Library and Information Science program, the undergraduate program in Information Technology and Informatics, and the LIS area of the school’s doctoral program.

As Chair, Dr. Radford will ensure that all three programs continue to meet the needs of students and prepare them for careers in a rapidly evolving profession. Dr. Radford will also mentor and assist faculty in helping them to achieve their teaching, research, and service goals.

“I’m looking forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead as Department Chair and especially to working closely with all of the talented students and exceptional faculty and administrative staff here at SC&I,” Dr. Radford said.

Dr. Radford has had extensive administration experience. Prior to coming to Rutgers, she was Acting Dean and Associate Professor at Pratt Institute, School of Information and Library Science, in NYC. She has also held managerial positions in an academic library in New Jersey, and is considered to be a leader in the field of librarianship. She is highly respected by her peers for her research and as a collaborative colleague. In 2010, Dr. Radford was awarded the ALA, Reference and User Services Association’s Isadore Gilbert Mudge Award for “distinguished contributions to reference librarianship." (See http://rusa.ala.org/blog/2010/03/19/mudge-2010winner/)

Dr. Radford serves as President of Beta Phi Mu National, the library and information studies honor society, and is chair of the Research Coordinating Committee of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL). She is the SC&I liaison to the New Jersey Library Association and the SC&I Alumni Association, and is faculty adviser to the SC&I Beta Phi Mu Omicron Chapter and the newly formed SCARLA (Student College, Academic, and Research Libraries Association) at Rutgers.

Dr. Radford is an interdisciplinary scholar, with interests in the library and information field as well as in interpersonal communication and cultural studies. Her research focus is on interpersonal communication in reference encounters (face-to-face and in virtual environments), nonverbal communication, media stereotypes of librarians and libraries, qualitative assessment,, and cultural studies. She is Co-Principal Investigator of the “Seeking Synchronicity” and “Cyber Synergy” grant projects funded by IMLS, Rutgers, and OCLC. She gives frequent keynote speeches and scholarly papers at national and international library and communication conferences and publishes widely in library journals. Her latest book: Leading the Reference Renaissance (2012) is recently published with Neal-Schuman.

A Rutgers University Alumna, Dr. Radford received her PhD from SC&I in 1993 and holds an MSLS from Syracuse University and BA from The College of New Jersey. She has taught at Rutgers since 2004, including courses in Reference Sources & Services, Management of Libraries and Information Centers, Interpersonal Communication for Information Professionals, Theories and Issues in Library Studies, Information & Communication Processes, and Retrieving and Evaluating Electronic Resources.

For more information, please visit Prof. Radford’s web site: http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~mradford/

--

comminfo.rutgers.edu
facebook.com/rutgerscomminfo