Greetings,
   I note the recent enthusiasm for talking about library services and IT
concerns in providing them..  This is not the focus for the jESSE list -
the 2,000 readers of jESSE are concerned about LIS education in the
context of higher education in the US, and abroad. We are not concerned
about specific IT applications for providing library services, as the URL
in my sig file describes.

   I have no idea what happened to AUTOCAT (for catalogers), LIBREF (for
strange reference questions) or the many other discussion lists devoted to
library services in the early days of the Internet and Web.  I have no
idea what happened to Web4LIB, which tried to apply the Web to library
services.  I have no idea who (or how) librarians are trying to apply
social media to library services, or where these discussions would be
announced.  While this discussion list (jESSE) survives, it is not
concerned with specific library services in any media.

   Sneaky workaround:  "I am teaching an introductory course in LIS for my
university's masters program, and know that I have to deal with social
media.  How are you balancing participation in these services such as
Twitter and Facebook and LinkedIn with the individual student's needs for
privacy?"  In the late 1990s, it was easy for a student to set up a web
page and keep it fairly private as a student because there was no general
access.  In social media, the students have to participate in public to
gain the experience with these media.  How do you balance the need for
private learning and public exposure?"

   Sneaky workaround No. 2:  "I am teaching an elective course in LIS for
my university's masters program in reference services, and I wish to
evaluate the different media through which patrons can contact an
information service to ask a question.  Can anyone provide me with a
framework for the evaluation of options for communication to ask a
question available to patrons (telephone, e-mail, twitter, our web page,
electronic discussion lists connected to our library, discussion boards
connected to our library, Skype, personal appointments in person, personal
walk-ins)?  The emphasis is on the framework for evaluation, and less on
the individual capabilities of these tools.  Once the framework for
evaluation is established, individual capabilities of tools within these
categories can be evaluated."

   IT applications for library services are of deep concern for
provision of services both to students and to the public.  Let me point
you elsewhere for such discussions.

   I do note that the American Library Association has adopted the Sympa
communication software via e-mail for discussion lists, at

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/communicate/emaildiscussionlists/index.cfm

and ALA  offers a whole cafeteria of discussion lists by subject and ALA
organizations at

http://lists.ala.org/sympa

which includes reference services, cataloging and classification, and
legislation, and library management.

   I would strongly encourage jESSE readers who have interests in these
specific library practices to participate in and encourage the development
of these community resources within the ALA.  This is where these
interests in specific library practices belong (AFAICT), as well as
whatever discussion groups are offered by the Special Libraries Assn,
Medical, Music, Theological, and other specialized assns are
participating in the development of electronic communities for their
members.

   I am not saying that any one participant is limited to belonging to one
discussion list.  Of course not.  But I would ask that readers place their
questions and concerns in the most appropriate discussion list.  I would
ask that you separate your social needs (you took a nap today and had a
banana) from your professional needs (you wonder if you can undertake a
project that your are interested in)  from your philosophical needs (you
wonder why consistent spelling in the English language is important).

   The point here is to encourage you to find your community(ies) which
share your concerns, and place your questions there.  This is not to stamp
out your enthusiasm for finding a community of professional readers in
which you share an interest. It is rather to encourage you to find a
community in which you share interests, via jESSE, the American Library
Association, or Facebook, Twitter, or whatever medium fits your social,
professional, or intellectual interests, and learn and abide by the rules
of those communities.  .

   --gw

Gretchen Whitney, PhD, Retired
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           [log in to unmask]
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html