Rec'd with a technical glitch.  --gw

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:52:26 -0500
From: Scott Barker <[log in to unmask]>
To: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: RateMyProfessor.com

At the University of Washington Information School as it is elsewhere,
teaching is an extremely important factor to consider when evaluating
faculty for tenure and promotion (as is their research and service).

Like most universities, student evaluations take place at the end of each
course through an institutionally approved set of forms and processes.
The evaluations are looked at by the chair of each program, our assistant
dean for academics, and of our dean as part of the annual merit review
process.  For guest faculty those evaluations may be looked at more
regularly, especially if the person is new to teaching for us.  For
faculty up for tenure and promotion, students and alumni are also asked to
give additional feedback on teaching beyond the standard course
evaluations.

We are aware that students use sites like "RateMyProcessor.com" but we
don't look at them as part of our standard processes.  Some of our faculty
look themselves however.  Some like what they see and some don't as you'd
expect.  I'd also note that some of our very best teaching faculty
occasionally will have a negative comment posted there, and they sometimes
agonize too much over one negative statement.  But that's good to me,
because that shows how much they care.

My PERSONAL opinion is that the vast majority of our faculty do a good
job, and I don't object to sites like "RateMyProcessor".  We have nothing
to worry about.  I am chair of our undergraduate program and I actually
find very few students that like a faculty member because the "class was
easy" or the professor tells good jokes.

  In general, when I look at our institutional student evaluations, for the
most part students are very fair.  The faculty that do the best on student
evals are typically the best teaching faculty we have if I had to rate
them myself.  And it isn't because they are "easy".  Instead it is because
they are passionate, they get students excited about the material, they
engage students, the class is well organized, their knowledge is
up-to-date, they bring past professional and research experience into the
classroom etc.

This is harsh, but I'd suggest that if a faculty member is worried that
most comments on "RateMyProfessor" are negative, they should look hard at
themselves and the content of their course.  Like I said, you can never
please everyone in a class and everyone will get negative comments.  But
if the faculty member and the class routinely are evaluated poorly, the
problem is not likely to be with "RateMyProfessor", it is likely to be
with the class or instructor.

Scott Barker
Information School
University of Washington