Jan OIT News: New OIT website, Support at Commons; Workshop Blitz; Grants for GTAs; More

If you have difficulty viewing this e-mail, go to http://itc2.utk.edu/newsletter_monthly/
        Forward this email Join the ITC email list Request ITC Assistance Contact OIT Helpdesk
News from Innovative Technology Consulting
January 2012

OIT Launches New Website
The Office of Information Technology's new website provides one-click access for requesting help or reporting problems. Launched on Jan 4, 2012, our new site directs you to the Help Desk with a prominent "Need Help? Click Here," button at the top left menu of every OIT webpage. The resources and information previously found on the old "ITC" website are now located under the Instructional Support link in the left menu. Other major sections highlighted in the menu are categorized based on our customer usage statistics and past help requests. Easily locate information about accounts and passwords, research support, campus labs, workshops, and more.

We continue to maintain our comprehensive customer Knowledgebase, located in the Help section, which hosts how-to's and detailed step-by-step information on using UT's supported technologies. We encourage everyone to search the Knowledgebase to locate quick answers.

Although we've done our best to make sure your links continue to work, you may need to re-bookmark a few of our pages as you engage with our new content. We welcome your suggestions. If you have any questions or comments, please send us a note via the HelpDesk contact form or call 865-974-9900.

Commons Hours During Semester Start Up
Online@UT consultants are available at the Commons South on January 9-20 from 8am-4:30pm each day. For all other assistance requests, please continue to contact the OIT Helpdesk at help.utk.edu or 974-9900.

We will return to the Commons South at the end of the spring semester as classes are wrapping up.

View January Commons Schedule

Workshop Blitz Readies Faculty for Spring
At the beginning of each semester, OIT offers a "blitz" of hands-on workshops to prepare faculty to use certain technologies in the classroom. Two workshops in particular feature: the equipment available in the OIT-sponsored Technology Enhanced Classrooms across campus, and the use of personal response devices, or Clicker Technology. These workshops are scheduled frequently the week prior to the start of class to provide the introductory or refresher assistance faculty may need to use these technologies successfully.

For more information or to register for our workshops, visit the OIT workshops page.

IT CoP visits the Classroom
Estabrook ClassroomOur November meeting featured a visit to Estabrook Hall where we saw how Engineering faculty transformed their physical and online instructional spaces into interactive learning environments. We also saw an iPad demo on classroom presentation and engagement. Join us on January 25, 2012, from 12:30 – 1:30 as the IT CoP Brown Bag lunch visits the new Modern Foreign Languages Lab in Alumni Memorial Building. For more information, or to be added to the IT CoP mailing list, contact Christina Goode at [log in to unmask] or 974-6470.

GTA@OIT Grants for Graduate Teaching Assistants
OIT sponsors GTA@OIT Grants to encourage UTK Graduate Teaching Associates and Assistants (GTAs) to incorporate technology into their teaching. GTAs with sole responsibility for teaching a course are paired with OIT instructional design staff to accomplish their goals for technology use.

In addition to mentoring, grant recipients receive a monetary incentive of $500 to purchase software, attend a professional conference, prepare a professional presentation or publication about integrating technology into a course, or use as a stipend.

GTA@OIT Spring 2012 grant proposals are due Friday, February 17, 2012 by 5pm. For more information, contact Christina Goode at [log in to unmask] or 974-6470.

Call for Proposals: Faculty First Program
Have a great idea for one of your courses but don't have the time to develop it? Innovative Technology Consulting invites applications from individual faculty members interested in receiving design and development assistance to reshape a course or course component to enhance the use of technology in the course delivery.

The primary focus of the Faculty First Program is development and technical assistance. You offer the ideas and serve as subject matter expert, and consultants will do the development for you, incorporating the appropriate technology into your course.

Grant proposals are due Tuesday, January 31, 2012. For more information on the Faculty First program, read the full Call for Proposals on the web.

2012 Project RITE Awards
Congratulations to the UT Knoxville Project RITE grant recipients for 2012

Dr. Brad Vander Zanden and Dr. Michael Berry
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
An Interactive, Web-Based Tool for Introductory Programming

Dr. Suzy Prentiss
Communication Studies
The creation and use of evaluation rubrics to advance your instructional objectives and Communication Studies program goals

Visit the Project RITE Web site this spring to read about past projects and to keep up with 2012 projects via research blogs. For more information about Project RITE, contact Christina Goode at [log in to unmask] or 974-6470.

More Technology Training Workshops for You
and Your Students

workshops for students, instructors, and researchers
Offerings in January include:

  Researcher-Focused
  • Intro SAS
  • Maple
  • R Basics
Student-Focused
  • Creative Design: Photoshop
  • Website Design: Dreamweaver
SharePoint
  • Introductory SharePoint
  • Share Point Permissions
  • Share Point Team

Registration is required for all workshops. To view descriptions and register for sessions, visit the OIT workshops page. If you have questions or need help with registration for any of the workshops listed above, contact the HelpDesk at help.utk.edu or 974-9900.

Check Out IT Weekly!
If you’d like to receive weekly updates on timely information about IT and reminders of upcoming workshops, you can subscribe to IT Weekly, which is emailed on Fridays. To subscribe, go to the IT Weekly listserv page and click on "Join or leave the list (or change settings)".

IT Weekly Logo

Learn more about all of our services and events at our Website, http://itc.utk.edu.

Blackboard scheduled uptime
December 2011

Scheduled: 99.9%
Total: 94.5%

Learn more

Instructional Technology
January Workshops

Register for a Workshop

TurningPoint Clicker Technology
Clicker Technology, or audience response systems, is used by educational institutions nationwide to enhance student engagement, gather data, and provide instant feedback and assessment.
  • Tue, 1/10, 9:30am-12:30pm
  • Wed, 1/11, 9:30am-12:30pm

Using the SMART Classrooms
Learn how to use the projectors, VCRs, DVD players, and other equipment in the Technology Enhanced Classrooms.
  • Tue, 1/10, 1-2pm

Using the Smart Board/Sympodium System
Get hands-on experience with the Smart Board (a touch-to-click interactive whiteboard) and the Sympodium (an electronic lectern).
  • Tue, 1/10, 2-3pm

Introduction to LiveOnline@UT
Learn how to manage your virtual classroom through live audio, text chat, real-time polling, and content sharing.
  • Tue, 1/10, 9-11am
  • Wed, 1/11, 1-3pm
  • Thu, 1/12, 9-11am
  • Fri, 1/13, 9-11am
  • Tue, 1/17, 1-3pm
  • Wed, 1/18, 9-11am
  • Thu, 1/19, 1-3pm

Hands-on with Camtasia: Creating Instructional Screencasts on Windows PC
Create an instructional screencast for iTunesU, the web, and mobile devices. Contact OIT Helpdesk to schedule Mac learning session.
  • Wed, 1/19, 9am-12pm

Hands-on with Adobe Captivate: Going Beyond PowerPoint
Turn a PowerPoint presentation into a self-contained online interactive learning module.
  • Wed, 1/19, 9am-12pm

Grade Center Best Practices
Discover new and redesigned tools for managing grades online using the Online@UT Grade Center.
  • Mon, 1/30, 9-11am

Online@UT Assessment Tools
Learn to create, manage, deploy, and grade online assessments. Develop question pools, surveys, and more.
  • Tue, 1/31, 9-11am

Register for a Workshop

University of Tennessee

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the ITC-FORUM archives or Join/Leave the list go to: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/itc-forum.html