Dear All,

I will be bring these two lecturers to your attention as much as I can before they happen because I think you would regret not attending.  Those of you familiar with LIS studies need no introduction to Wayne Wiegand who among his many scholarly achievements is known as the most notable library and information science historian and an authority on Melville Dewey.  His wife, a legal scholar, who worked with and is close friends with Anita Hill has in her retirement developed an interest in the history of the desegregation of cultural institutions in America.  These lectures will be accompanied with receptions so that you can meet the Wiegands one on one while enjoying some delicious refreshments.  Please pass the word and more importantly make sure that you attend.

Ed Cortez

Wiegand Lectures

Date:
February 21, 2012 - 5:00pm - 7:00pm
CCI Auditorium
Co-Hosted SIS & the main Library
"Free to All?  The Painful Process of Desegregating Public Libraries in the American South."  Drs. Shirley and Wayne Wiegand

Date:
February 22, 2012 - 11:30am - 1:30pm
Scripps Lab Theater
"Main Street Public Library:  Community Places & Reading Spaces in the Rural Heartland,1876-1956"  Dr. Wayne Wiegand

Edwin-Michael Cortez, PhD
Director & Professor
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee
451 Communications Bldg.
1345 Circle Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996-0341
Phone: (865) 974-2148
Fax: (865) 974-4967
E-mail [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To join/leave the list or browse the ISALUMNI archives, please see:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/isalumni.html