Dear Students,

I am offering a seminar in Urban Economic Geography [Geog 541] in Spring 2012. The class will be held Wednesdays at 5:05-7:45 pm [once a week]. I plan to cover many interesting topics in this course which will be held in a typical seminar style. The list of readings is almost ready, and will be circulated among the enrolled students by this weekend.

Those of you interested in reading about some contemporary topics such a racial/ethnic economy, housing foreclosure crises, racial/residential segregation, theories of urban model/conceptual frameworks, globalization and informal economy, etc. may want to consider this option. There will be no in-class examination in this course, but will have a few reviews, in-class discussion and participation, final term paper, etc. that will comprise of the grades. Let me know if you would like to be enrolled. I will be happy to sign your enrollment forms for this class if any of the topics interest you. Please see the following. My email id is: [log in to unmask] I will be in my office (BGB 416) Monday onwards.

Best,

Dr. Madhuri Sharma
Geog 541: Seminar in Urban Economic Geography

The seminar in Urban Economic Geography is designed to address the various theoretical and empirical issues that shape a variety of urban challenges for researchers, academicians, and practitioners. Combining book readings, journal articles, videos, and discussions, students will gain an appreciation of the complexity of the urban form, and the various economic and social dynamics of urban life, and the role of urban centers in the emerging local and global economy. The course aims to provide a theoretically and empirically informed understanding by students on some of the key processes that are shaping the structure and experience of cities (mostly American and European) in the 21st century. By the end of the course, students should have a sense of some of the social and economic influences shaping the development of urban systems; an understanding of the social and economic processes associated with creating order and disorder in the urban environment; and a knowledge of how people interact and make sense of the cities in which they live. In each of these overlapping areas, students are exposed to both theoretical and empirical examples within urban geography.

In this seminar, we will read papers on topics related to human diversity such as race, culture, class, gender, sexuality, etc. Topics include theoretical foundations of urban geography, from the Chicago School to the postmodern city, restructuring of the city under capitalism: suburbanization, gentrification, social polarization, urban renewal, segregation, social ramifications of this restructuring, urban villages, poverty and uneven development. geographies of difference pertaining to racial, ethnic, and sexual identity in cities, the meaning of public space, and the implications of how it is defined, and some new research emerging in the field of sustainable urban development and the nexus of between economic development & residential/commercial communities.

The major topics on which readings will be assigned are given below:

1. Conceptual frameworks and urban models of population growth and assimilation

2. Residential segregation and neighborhood change

3. Housing foreclosure crises - Hedonic pricing modeling and recent research from last 5 years

4. Economic and occupational segregation: Culture and class focus

5. Urban World Systems and Growth Hierarchy/Central Place Theory

6. Some critical theorists and their understanding of postmodernism, capitalism and economic inequality [e.g., David Harvey, Paul Knox, Marx, Neil Smith, etc.]

7. Gentrification and urban revitalization

8. Social Polarization - will read scholars such as Saskia Sassen, Chris Hamnett, Nijman, etc.

9. Sustainable urban development - new topic and we will read papers or urban design, nexus of urban and economic development, etc.

10. Urban poverty and role of informalization in a globalized world: examples from India and the developed world.

Madhuri Sharma
Assistant Professor of Geography

#416 Burchfiel Geography Building

1000 Phillip Fulmer Way