@COE for the week of January 27, 2012

If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

Banner

For the week of
January 27, 2012

@COE is published on a weekly basis. The next edition will be sent out on Friday, Feb. 3.

Please send submissions for @COE to Kim Cowart in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Outreach News

Deadline Approaching for UT Faculty–led 2012 Programs

Deadline for applications for the three faculty–led summer engineering programs is Feb. 3, 2012. This is the last chance to get in on the inaugural editions of our college’s efforts to offer UT course credit in some fantastic overseas locations. Two trips are being offered to London, one with credit for ME 331 and ECE 301, and the other offering Computer Science technical elective credit. A third offers technical elective credit in civil engineering for a water resources study based in Innsbruck, Austria. There is still space available. To find out more about all three programs and application information, click here.

Another Engineering Study Abroad Opportunity this Summer

Earn engineering credit in France at The International Summer School in Science and Engineering in Lyon, France. This is a consortium of four private technical schools in France that have joined efforts to offer an international summer school in subjects which generally transfer as technical electives. Visit the website here. Students spend approximately five weeks in Lyon taking half French language (at beginning or intermediate level) and half a scientific focused course in English offered by one of the four Lyon science and engineering colleges.

Student News

Attention: It's Time Once Again to Fill Out Your Scholarship Application

Scholarship applications are due Feb. 1, 2012, to 115 Student Services Building. Please make sure you have a biography and resume' with your application. Applications can be found online at http://finaid.utk.edu/apply/applications/UGscholarship.shtml. And please write neatly!

COE Ambassador Applications Now Accepted

The College of Engineering (COE) is now accepting applications for COE Ambassadors. Applications are available in the Engineering Advising Services office in 202 Estabrook Hall or online at the COE Ambassadors website. The deadline for applications will be 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24, 2012. All majors are encouraged to apply, but representation is specifically needed in Biosystems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering.

For more information, visit http://www.ccefp.org.

Women's Leadership Institute Accepting Nominations, Applications

The Women’s Leadership Institute is now accepting nominations and applications for the NEW Leadership Residential Intensive Training to be held May 14-17, 2012 on the campus of Auburn University.  The program offers one-on-one training with top leaders in nonprofit management, politics, education and social media, and the keynote event is a book-signing luncheon with fair pay activist, Lilly Ledbetter.  The NEW Leadership Residential Training is open to all women currently enrolled in an institution of higher education.  For more information, to nominate students or to apply, please visit http://www.auburn.edu/womensleadership.

Thornton Athletics Student Life Center Seeks Tutors

Here is a great opportunity to make some extra money and gain some valuable experience!  The Thornton Center is looking for tutors. The hours are flexible! Graduate students will start at $11/hour, and undergraduate students will start at $9/hour. You must have a 3.0 GPA or better and must be at least a junior. If you are interested, please email Ashley Wheelis at [log in to unmask].

Advising Reminders

Registration Information

Mini and Summer Timetable on MyUTK starting Feb. 20
Fall Timetable on MyUTK starting Feb. 27

Mini and Summer Registration Dates
• Feb. 29 Priority Registration (Athletes, Honors, Disability, etc..)
• March 7 Seniors Register (earned 90 plus hours)
• March 14 Juniors Register (60 to 89.9 hours earned)
• March 29 Sophomores Register (30 to 59.9 hours earned)
• April 4 Freshmen Register (0 to 29.9 hours earned)

Fall Registration Dates
• March 12 Priority Registration (Athletes, Honors, Disability, etc..)
• March 26 Seniors Register (earned 90 plus hours)
• April 2 Juniors Register (60 to 89.9 hours earned)
• April 9 Sophomores Register (30 to 59.9 hours earned)
• April 16 Freshmen Register  (0 to 29.9 hours earned)

Faculty News

DOE Office of Nuclear Energy Approves Project

The DOE Office of Nuclear Energy has approved a collaborative International Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (I-NERI) project between the University of Tennessee Department of Nuclear Engineering (NE) and the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Daejeon, Republic of Korea. The project is titled, “Development of Diagnostics and Prognostics Methods for Sustainability of Nuclear Power Plant Safety Critical Functions.”

The project will integrate monitoring and diagnostics methods developed by the international team of Korean and U.S. collaborators and demonstrate the techniques and measurement strategies for three selected safety-related equipment in nuclear power plants. The NE collaborators are Dr. Belle Upadhyaya as the lead PI and Dr. Wes Hines as the Co-PI.

STEM Faculty Reception, Book Drive at L&N STEM Academy

Please make plans to join us Feb. 10 from 5:30-7 p.m. at a reception celebrating UT’s partnership with Knox County Schools (KCS) at the county’s newest high school, the L&N STEM Academy. STEM faculty who have worked with KCS or L&N in the past, or hope to in the future, are warmly invited to share your presence and honor our school partners by taking the opportunity to become better acquainted with L&N’s administration and teachers. This reception will also mark the end of a week-long UTK book drive supporting the L&N Library and Media Center, which now consists of empty shelves. RSVP by Feb. 6, if possible: [log in to unmask]; 974-8363

· L&N STEM Faculty Reception: Friday, Feb. 10, 5:30-7 p.m.
· UTK Book Drive for L&N Academy: Feb. 3-10, 2012
· Book Drive Details: http://research.utk.edu/pd/bookdrive.shtml

Faculty Senate Needs More Volunteers

To date, Dr. Doug Birdwell has received an indication that only two faculty members are stepping forward to volunteer to be placed on the ballot for the Faculty Senate election. More volunteers are needed. For more information, please contact Dr. Birdwell at [log in to unmask].

Engineering in the News

Check out this story in the Knoxville News Sentinel about a survey the Center for Transportation conducted:

Study: Tennesseans Think Texting While Driving is as Dangerous as Drunken Driving

Engineering Professional Practice Announcement

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu or calling 865-974-5323.

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured Student: Cody Johnson

Our student this week is Cody Johnson, a civil engineering major who accepted a co-op/internship at Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in Chattanooga, Tenn.

“I worked for engineering oversight on the steam generator replacement project at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant," Johnson said. "I was responsible for tracking all the work packages that were transferred between the contractor (SGT) and TVA. I reviewed engineering packages. I helped employees with creation and maintaining of excel spreadsheets. Also, I helped employees solve computer problems.”

The biggest challenge that Cody had to overcome was communication.

"Out of everything that I have learned during this assignment, an increase in my communication skills has benefited me the most," he said. "I lacked in that department before I started this assignment.

“I am very eager to graduate now that I have been working with TVA. This internship has motivated me to finish my degree so that I can work here full time.”

Students may read more about their peers’ co-op/internship experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.”

For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

Career Services Announcements

5th Annual College of Engineering Dining Etiquette Dinner and Workshop for Engineers

The Career Services Office at UT Knoxville invites junior and senior engineering students to the 5th Annual Dining Etiquette Dinner and Workshop for Engineers. The event will be held on the evening of Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and will take place in the University Center Hermitage Room on the third floor.

The evening kicks off with an informal networking session with corporate sponsors at 5:30 p.m. with dinner starting at 6 p.m.  Attendees will enjoy a four-course gourmet meal while having the opportunity to meet representatives from our sponsors. Career Services’ own dining and business etiquette trainer Mary Mahoney will be leading the discussion on appropriate mealtime etiquette for professional settings. Business casual dress is required for this event.

A $5.00 deposit is required to attend this event and must be brought to the Career Services Office at 100 Dunford Hall prior to Feb. 13. The deposit will be returned to you at the event for attending. You will not be registered for the event until you have paid your deposit.

Career Services wishes to thank our corporate sponsors:

• ConAgra Foods
• DENSO Manufacturing
• Eastman Chemical Company
• Mechanical Resource Group

An additional note of thanks goes out to our student organization co-sponsors:

• NSBE
• SWE
• Theta Tau

Hurry! Don’t delay in signing up as seating will go fast and is on a first-come, first-served basis.  To sign up, please log into your HIRE-A-VOL account and select the 2012 College of Engineering Etiquette Dinner under the Events section.  Deposits must then be dropped off to Career Services by Feb. 13.  Please note that you must do both to be considered registered for the event and to hold your seat.

Students with questions are encouraged to contact the Career Services Office at 865-974-5435.

Summer Job & Internship Fair 2012