Spring 2012 Online courses at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.  Interested students from any program or professionals may take either course for credit through the Visions program http://www.uncg.edu/grs/visions/.  General inquiries may be addressed to Touger Vang [log in to unmask]

LIS 688 Music Librarianship and Information Resources (3h)

Instructor: Sonia Archer-Capuzzo, MLIS and PhD.

Explores music librarianship and music bibliography. Identifies the different types of music libraries and the professional organizations that represent them; examines why music materials often demand special treatment in a library, for example in acquisition, cataloging and classification, circulation and conservation; introduces basic music reference tools; surveys the history of music printing and bibliography; examines copyright legislation as it affects the music library; identifies different types of music library patron, and assesses those patrons' varied demands on the music library; introduces the professional literature of music librarianship, and assesses what skills and training are needed by current and future music library professionals; examines the role of digitization and other technologies in the future dissemination of music materials.  Email the instructor with questions regarding the course: [log in to unmask]

LIS 652 Library Administration Management Seminar: The Community College Library (3h)

In Spring 2012 LIS 652 will be focused on the Community College Library. It is team taught by Assistant Professor Nora Bird and Assistant Dean Michael Crumpton from the University Libraries. It will introduce students to the dynamic environment found in community colleges.  One section of the course will be delivered online and the other on the Greensboro campus.

Students in other LIS programs and working professionals who would like to learn more about this course, should contact Dr. Nora Bird, [log in to unmask], for more information on how to register.

The work in community college libraries is quite varied. One of the instructors states, “When I worked at Gateway Community College Library, I was the systems administrator, a reference librarian, an information literacy instructor, a part-time manager, and sometimes I even did cataloging.” We hope that

--
Clara M. Chu, Ph.D.
Chair and Professor