American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2, 2011 – First Lady Michelle Obama would like to add a military flourish to the White House’s holiday decorations this year.

She’s asking military children from throughout the world to create holiday cards honoring their service member parent and to send them to the White House no later than Nov. 16, according to a Navy news article by Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Monique K. Hilley.

The White House is honoring American heroes this holiday season, the article said, and the cards will offer a fitting tribute to the nation’s military heroes.

"We are asking kids like you, from military installations around the world, to create a holiday card that represents your parent who is serving our nation," the first lady wrote in a personal letter to military children. "I encourage you to use your imagination, and include words, pictures and drawings to create a holiday card that honors your brave mom or dad."

The handmade cards should by 5 by 8 inches, and should include the parent’s name, branch of service and command.

Participants can mail the cards to: Reservation 1, Attn: Social Office, P.O. Box 8070, Washington, DC, 20032. And be sure to include a return address, the article said.

"Thank you for helping with this fun project, and most of all for your family's courageous service to our nation," the first lady wrote. "I look forward to seeing the results of your creativity!"