@COE for the week of November 18, 2011

If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

Banner

For the week of
November 18, 2011

@COE is published on a weekly basis; however, the next edition will not be sent out until Friday, Dec. 2 due to the holiday.

Please send submissions for @COE to Julie Stansberry in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Student News

Scholarship Information Available

Information about ACEC and ACEC of Tennessee's scholarships is now available at http://www.acectn.org/Scholar.htm. The deadline for submitting applications is January 20, 2012.

AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships Application Deadline Approaches

The application deadline for the 2012-2013 AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships is quickly approaching. The deadline to apply is Dec. 5, 2011, at 5 p.m. EST.

Opportunities
Placement opportunities are available in congressional offices and 15 executive branch agencies. The five fellowship areas offered for September 2012 through August 2013 are:

• Congressional
• Diplomacy, Security & Development
• Energy, Environment & Agriculture
• Health, Education & Human Services
• Roger Revelle Fellowship in Global Stewardship

Eligibility
To be considered for a fellowship, all successful applicants must hold a doctoral level degree (PhD, MD, DVM, etc.) in any of the following:

• Social/Behavioral Sciences
• Medical/Health Disciplines
• Biological, Physical or Earth Sciences
• Computational Sciences and Mathematics
• Engineering Disciplines (applicants with a master's degree in engineering and three or more years of post-degree professional experience also qualify).

Non U.S. citizens and federal employees are not eligible for the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships. Visit the Fellowships website to learn more about eligibility requirements.

Benefits
Stipends range from approximately $74,000 to $99,000 (depending on years of experience and previous salary). Other benefits include health insurance, travel/training allowance and relocation allowance. For more information about benefits, click here.

To learn more about the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships, visit the website at http://fellowships.aaas.org. Please contact the Fellowships staff at [log in to unmask] or 202-326-6700 with questions.

Engineering Professional Practice Announcement

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu or calling 865-974-5323.

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured Student: Michael Dion Swift

Michael Swift is an electrical engineering major who has been assigned to Memphis Light, Gas, & Water Utilities located in Memphis, Tenn., to complete his co-op assignment. He has this to tell us about his assignment:

“I worked in the Systems Operation Department with the Gas & Water utilities," Swift said. "In this department, water flows, gas pressures and electric power are controlled and utilities are provided to the customers of Shelby County. It plays the biggest role in relation to handling storms, dispatching crews to fix problems in the field, catastrophes and other emergencies.

"My project assignments related to the development of the Gas utility’s Control Room Management Manual," Swift said. "Due to various explosions and catastrophes by other gas companies, the U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) required all gas providers/companies to develop a plan document for all gas controllers (employees who control and monitor the gas (and sometimes water) system).

"My responsibilities during my co-op experience included: (1) researching a fatigue training opportunity for the gas controllers, coordinators and supervisors; (2) developing a record keeping document that supports Systems Operation’s Internal Communication Plan; (3) developing report forms for abnormal conditions and false alarms in the field; (4) developing review forms for the safety-related alarm database and the annual training program; (5) learning about the SCADA System and the department’s processes for different operations; and (6) editing, reviewing, researching and writing the information to be placed in the CRM manual.

"The assignment brought out the best of my technical, analytical, and ethical skills," Swift said. "It strongly related to classes that I have taken in the past (Engineering Fundamentals, English Composition and Engineering Ethics). This assignment allowed me to learn even more and allowed me to have a better appreciation and understanding of utility companies.”

Students may read more about their peers’ co-op/internship experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.”

For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

Seminar Announcements

Materials Graduate Seminar
Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011
1:25 p.m. Dougherty Engineering Building, Room 612
Speaker: Dr. Edward N. Sickafus

President, Ntelleck, LLC