Hey Canoe and Hikers!

Sorry for the delay in the Meteor shower info!  The tentative plan is to leave Knoxville around 9pm on Friday (from lot 66) and drive to Max Patch, NC.  It's about a 1.40 minute drive to Max Patch, so we should be there around 11, giving us time to walk out to the bald and get settled before the meteors peak (between 12 and 2am seems to be the best time--before the moon gets too high in the sky, etc).  We won't be able to see all of the meteors because of the waning crescent moon, but we should be able to see some of them (good enough for me)!  We will stay out until we are ready to come home (I'm thinking 2ish? but that can easily change).  Then we will drive back to knoxville and be home around 4am-ish (if we leave max patch around 2-2.30).  It will be a late night, but you can sleep in on Saturday (unless you are going volunteering, which will be awesome)!  It is going to be pretty cold out there, so make sure to wear layers, warm socks/hats/gloves/etc.  I'm probably going to bring my sleeping bag to sit in while I watch the sky :)

For those of you looking to do something a little more outdoorsy, see John Bills' email about potential backpacking to Rocky Top on Friday.  It is a great trail with awesome views and would be another way to see the meteor shower...and camp instead of driving home so late!

Here are a few sites with some info about the meteor shower...

http://darkskydiary.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/orionids-meteor-shower-2011/

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide

If you are planning on going for sure, email me back so I know who/how many to expect!  Also, if you have other ideas about dark/cool places closer to Knoxville let me know and we can see what people want to do!  I was just trying to find somewhere out of the way of city lights.  **ALSO: keep in mind that this is not an official trip, so we all have to pay for our own gas.  This means throw a few bucks to whoever you ride with!**

Sarah Boop

9016740932