Registration for this trip closes on Oct. 15-there need to be at least two more participants for the trip to go forward, so if you've been thinking about registering, please do so soon!

University of Maryland: International Opportunities in Information Studies: Bangalore, India; Mysore, India.

Winter Term 2012 :   From 01/01/2012- To 01/14/2012 ( including travel days)

Admissions for the program are made on a rolling basis, and applications will not be reviewed until they are complete. Early application is advisable.

What's the scoop?

This program travels to Bangalore and Mysore cities in Karnataka State, India for 12 days. Bangalore is the leading outsourcing center in the world for software companies. Mysore is the scenic beauty where the rulers (kings) developed the city as the most beautiful one in the state. Participants will visit academic and research institutions, and software companies, with opportunities to interact with students, faculty, staff, and information professionals. As an added attraction, visits to sites of cultural significance (like Mysore Palace, Chamundi Hills, KR Sagar and other notable sites) will facilitate our exploration of how tacit knowledge is applied in oral societies.

What course will I take?

LBSC 729 (3 credit hours) International Opportunities in Library and Information Studies: India

Where will I stay?

In Bangalore, our host XIME, one of the advanced business entrepreneurship graduate schools, will make arrangements for our accommodations, meals and travel. In Mysore, our host International

Institute of Information Management will make arrangements for our accommodations, meals and travel. All rooms (double occupancy) at XIME and at the hotel in Mysore have private baths and

internet access.

Study Tour Facilitator

Prof. Taverekere (Kanti) Srikantaiah, had a distinguished career at the World Bank where he headed varied and important assignments in the areas of information and knowledge management at the

Bank's headquarters in Washington DC as well as at several of the World Bank's field offices in Africa and Asia. He was also the director and senior professor at the Center for Knowledge Management at Dominican University in Chicago. Currently, he is a visiting professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland. His area of specialization includes Systems Analysis, Organization of Information, Management of Information Repositories, Environmental Scanning, Information Audit, Project Management and Knowledge Management.

What are the costs?

$2650 excluding airfare

Included: UMD tuition, UMD $250 Education Abroad fee, lodging, most meals, and travel within the country.

Not included: personal expenses, some meals, trip insurance, international airfare, passport and visa expenses.

Syllabus available upon request: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Consult website:

http://myea.umd.edu/?go=IMstudiesinindia