iSchool Selected to Receive a Coveted National Leadership Research Grant

(October 7, 2011 - Seattle, WA) The Information School (iSchool) at the University of Washington has been awarded a $635,000 National Leadership Research Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).

The award builds on a 2009 research planning grant from IMLS that found what librarians have long suspected -- young children progress faster when the adults who look after them are more confident and competent with reading skills.

iSchool researchers, led by the Eliza Dresang, Beverly Clearly Professor of Children and Youth, along with partners,  the Early Learning Public Library Partnership, the Foundation for Early Learning, and the Washington State Library, will investigate and test new ways to measure the effectiveness of early literacy programs in public libraries.

The three-year grant, entitled "VIEW2: Valuable Initiatives in Early Learning that Work Successfully" involves library staff in the 26 geographically and demographically diverse Early Learning Public Library Partnership library systems that provide regular in-library story times.

"Public libraries are an integral part of the state of Washington's nationally-recognized leadership in the area of early learning," said Dresang. "I'm delighted that the VIEWS2 partnership provides the opportunity to capitalize on this strength and to demonstrate what works in public libraries to prepare young children for kindergarten."

The research will focus on measuring early literacy outcomes for children from birth to entering kindergarten and will leverage innovative public library and school partnerships. The investigation will be conducted in Washington, but will be structured so that the results, tools, and methodology are available to libraries across the country.

For more information about the research, contact Eliza Dresang, principal investigator, UW iSchool, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Media contact: Lori Dugdale,  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 206-22106182

ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON INFORMATION SCHOOL
The University of Washington Information School recognizes the importance of information in society, and our community of dedicated faculty, students and staff is working to make information a catalyst for change, growth and innovation. Employing an interdisciplinary approach, the iSchool explores and examines the challenges and opportunities presented by the volume and variety of information we encounter in nearly every aspect of our daily lives. Through teaching, research and practice, we are improving the ways people and organizations create, find, store, manipulate and share information, while fostering a collaborative culture in which inclusiveness and connectedness are celebrated as necessary parts of academic excellence.

###

Lori Dugdale
Director of Communications

Direct: 206-221-6182