We’re very pleased to announce our two newest tenure-track faculty at the University of Denver, Krystyna Matusiak and Xiao Hu.

Dr. Hu served as a Clinical Assistant Professor in our program during the 2010-11 academic year. Dr. Hu has a Master of Computer Science degree and PhD from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and a Master of Science degree in electrical engineering from Beijing University. Her research includes creating classification systems for music using lyrics, audio and social tags and has designed highly interactive web-based applications for both the public and private sectors. Her work related to classification music has won awards at the iConference and Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. She has been a senior research engineer and a digital library developer. Dr. Hu has published book chapters and papers in the areas of classification and digital libraries and has presented at many conferences on those topics.  She is a member of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, the Association for Library and Information Science Education, the Association for Computers and the Humanities, and the Chinese American Librarian Association.

Dr. Krystyna Matusiak earned her PhD from UW-Milwaukee in the Interdisciplinary Program in Digital Information Design and Organization. Her dissertation title is: Use of Digital Resources in an Academic Environment: A Qualitative Study of Students’ Perceptions, Experiences, and Digital Literacy SkillsDr. Matusiak has been the Digital Collections Librarian at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for the last ten years and has planned and designed over 20 distinct digital collections. She is an active participant in the NEH grant funded project: Saving and Sharing the AGS Library’s Historic Nitrate Negative Images. Krystyna has served as a digitization consultant for projects funded by the Endangered Archive Programme at the British Library and assisted digital library projects at the Press Institute of Mongolia in Ulan Baatar, Mongolia and the Al-Aqsa Mosque Library in East Jerusalem.

We’re very excited about the contributions of Xiao and Krystyna to our efforts to become a leading graduate program in data curation and digitization.

Regards,

Mary

Mary Stansbury, PhD

Associate Professor and Domain Chair

Library & Information Science Program

Information Studies and Learning Technologies Domain

Morgridge College of Education

University of Denver

p. 303-871.3217

.