Welcome to the Simmons GSLIS Bulletin!

What a summer we've had here in New England. Between GSLIS folks
traveling the globe, hosting archival educators and researchers
(including the U.S. Archivist, GSLIS alum David Ferriero), and having
the earth shake and mountains moved by water, well, it's been
eventful, to say the least. In this bulletin, we hit some of the
summer's happier highlights.

Welcome and Congratulations!

Welcome new faculty Assistant Professors Joel Blanco-Rivera, Rebecca
Morris and Laura Saunders, all of whom are joining us in the 2011-2012
academic year. Professors Morris and Saunders begin this fall, while
Blanco-Rivera joins us in the spring. We are also happy to welcome
Donna Webber as an Associate Professor of Practice, and Linda Braun,
as a Professor of Practice. For more information about the GSLIS
faculty, please see:http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/people/faculty/index.php
.

This year we also have three new Dean's Fellows: Clare Davitt, the
Fellow for Dean's Initiatives, Joan Hagler, Dean's Fellow for
Technology Support, and Kate McGrath, Dean's Fellow for GSLIS West and
Online Library Assistance. GSLIS has five student fellowships, two of
which we expect to be available in the 2012-2013 academic year.
Interested prospective students can find more information at: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/admission/tuition/fellowships.php
.

And, of course, we welcome the entire new Fall '11 class joining us
this week!

We’d also like to extend our congratulations to incoming student
Hannah Gomez, who was named YALSA’s 2011 Spectrum Scholar, and current
students Amanda Webb-Trujillo, the 2011 NELA Scholarship winner,
Arthur Liu, who was awarded a scholarship from the Association of
Research Libraries earlier this summer, and Justin Daras, who was
named the 2011 recipient of the Roger K. Summit Scholarship from the
DIALOG/ProQuest corporation. For more information about student award
winners, please see: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2011.php.

And, last but not least, congratulations to Assistant Professor Kathy
Wisser, who received an IMLS Laura Bush 21st Century Program grant for
an Early Career Development project. See more information at: http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2011.php#news4114
.

Promotions

We'd also like to congratulate Associate Professor Daniel Joudrey for
being granted tenure, and Christine Williams, who was promoted to
Associate Director of Administrative, both effective on July 1, 2011.

Summer Happenings

This year Simmons GSLIS students and faculty participated in our
fourth year of partnership with Yonsei University (in Seoul, South
Korea). Six students and two faculty members traveled to Korea in
August. They shared their experience on our Dispatches from the Field
blog at: http://alanis.simmons.edu/blogs/dispatches/.

We were also happy to host this year's AERI (Archives Education and
Research Institute) to campus in July, which included a keynote by
U.S. Archivist David Ferriero.

In the News

GSLIS has been appearing in the news throughout the summer:

·         The August 29th issue of the Newburyport (MA) Daily News
contained an article about the Triton (MA) School District bringing
back full-time elementary school librarian positions, one of which was
filled by recent grad Elizabeth Cominole.

·         GSLIS Continuing Education instructor, Linda Dunn, wrote
"Teaching a Workshop on Periodical/Database Indexing Online" about her
experiences teaching workshops at Simmons GSLIS CE in the July-
September 2011 issue of KeyWords, the Bulletin for the American
Society of Indexing.

·         The July 13th edition of the Berkshire Eagle contained an
article about GSLIS West alum, Seth Kershner, traveling to El Salvador.

·         "ProfHacker: How to Liven Up Library Learning," an article
in the June 30th issue of Wired Campus, was written by GSLIS alum Caro
Pinto.

·         The June 15th issue of LJ.com featured GSLIS Adjunct
Professor Shelley Quezada, along with two alums – Joshua Jackson and
GSLIS West alum Anna Gancarz – in the feature article, "The Problem is
Not the Homeless." Please see the article at:  http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/ljinprintcurrentissue/890752-403/the_problem_is_not_the.html.csp
.

For more news about GSLIS students, faculty and alums, please see http://www.simmons.edu/gslis/news/news/2011.php
  as well as our "Folks on the Move" columns in the GSLIS InfoLink (http://gslis.simmons.edu/infolink/index.html
).

Best wishes for a happy and productive beginning to the new academic
year!

Sincerely,
Jennifer Doyle
Director of GSLIS Curriculum and Communications

Jennifer Doyle '98LS
Director of GSLIS Curriculum and Communications
Simmons College
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
www.simmons.edu/gslis