Hi, Gretchen:

I sympathize with your predicament.  I'm not sure I completely follow your distinction between process and content, but I fully get that a list-serv can't be everything to everyone.

Nonetheless, we LIS instructors at Western are witnessing something that is changing the way we teach, and the way we approach teaching LIS.  My students, who are just starting an expensive program of study, are looking me with wide, scared eyes: until very recently, the professionals that they hope to be were walking up and down on a picket line; undergraduates were shrugging and saying they didn't care what happened to the library; for most of the campus, it was business as usual.  Behind every question about AACR, RDA and MARC, I'm hearing a subtext: is there any point learning this stuff?

At the heart of this grim instance of collective bargaining lies a compelling and urgent truth about LIS education: we simply MUST educate students, not just to do their jobs, but to explain, defend, define and redefine their jobs in an articulate, persuasive way.  If we can't do that, we educators will disappear, and we'll deserve to disappear.

Under the weight of that realization, it's difficult for us to care about the distinctions you draw between process and content.  AS LIS educators, we have found it impossible to draw such distinctions, and impossible to prevent this strike from affecting our educational mandate profoundly.  To ignore it would be to ignore an elephant--a very, very, very big elephant--that has perched itself on the couch and is eating all the appetizers.

I don't presume to tell you how to run your list.  But I hope you'll understand how things look from my end.

With respect and good wishes,
Grant Campbell
Faculty of Information and Media Studies
University of Western Ontario