Greetings all,
   I'm getting the impression from some agitated readers (just a few) that
all of the library-oriented discussion groups concerning library issues,
both processes (cataloging, acquisitions, reference and the like) have
disappeared, as have those surrounding social issues such as labor rights,
gay issues, and homeless issues.
   And jESSE is supposed to pick up the slack.  It can't, and it will not.
It can't deal with all of the internet and technical issues that
librarians, much less information scientists, need to be aware of.   It
has its own issues to deal with.
   In the early days of the Internet, these library issue discussion groups
were gathered together in a single list - but I regret that I cannot
remember the name of the web sitet.
   Who is keeping track of library-oriented discussion lists now, whether
on listservs (and related software based on e-mail), Facebook, or whatever
software?
   I'd avoid the usual culprits - ALA, PLA and the like. They are obvious
as professional associations.
   Who has pulled all of these professional discussions together?

   I'd avoid chit-chat lists.  I'm looking for professional conversations.
Chit-chat lists don't survive IMHO. I'm not against chit-chat lists.  They
have their place in professional discussions.  But jESSE isn't one of
them.  Stanley something was a chit-chat list that didn't last a year.
jESSSE has lasted nearly eighteen years.  I'm loathe to change its
practices.

   But where are these professional conversations taking place? Please let
us know.  Who and where are librarianss talking?

   --gw

Gretchen Whitney, PhD, Retired
School of Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           [log in to unmask]
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/
jESSE:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html
SIGMETRICS:http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html