Hi Fellow SIS Alumni!!

I’ve just returned from a Digital Preservation Train-the-Trainer Workshop
(http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/education/) at the Library of
Congress. 24 of us were trained, 4 in each of 6 regions of the U.S. (my
region is the Southeast). We have been given the materials and guidelines
for providing introductions to digital preservation to folks ranging from
librarians and archivists to content creators trying to manage their own
personal digital files.

The materials cover 6 broad categories, each intended to be an hour’s
presentation (with exercises); and an intro and closing summary will be
added. However, we can focus on only one or two, or combine them to
provide a broad overview, if you don’t want an entire day’s training.
Here’s the 6 segments:

1) Identify: what steps should you take to identify your digital content?
Select: what portion of that content do you need to preserve?
2) Store: how should you store it? What exactly do you need?
3) Protect: what steps need to be taken to protect your investment?
4) Provide: how can you keep this content accessible as the world
changes?
5) Manage: what provisions should you make for long-term management?

This broad framework offers basic steps for laying the groundwork to
enable you to move forward without feeling overwhelmed. The information
will be tailored to your needs. Workshops can be set up either in
centralized locations at a hosting institution, or at your own
institution.

Do folks at your institution need this training? If you're not in the
southeast, please contact [log in to unmask] for a referral to trainers in your
area.  Otherwise, please contact me to set up a training seminar at your
institution.

Or... if YOU want to become a trainer also, please contact George
Coulbourne at [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your interest in making digital content continue to be
available for the long term!!

Jody DeRidder
Digital Services
University of Alabama Libraries
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
(205) 348-0511

To join/leave the list or browse the ISALUMNI archives, please see:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/isalumni.html