@COE for the week of September 9, 2011

If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

Banner

For the week of September 9, 2011

@COE is published on a weekly basis. The next edition will be sent out on Friday, Sept. 16.

Please send submissions for @COE to Julie Stansberry in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Outreach News

Check out COE Faculty-led Study Abroad Opportunities!

The College of Engineering has developed three new study abroad trips to London and Austria in the summer of 2012. Students will have the chance to travel to London and Cambridge to take part in a computer science course, Theory of Computation: A Celebration of the Life of Alan Turing, which will be taught by Dr. Michael Berry, professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS). The second trip allows students to travel to London to take part in a mechanical engineering course, Thermodynamics, and an electrical engineering course, Electromechanical Components. These courses will be taught by Dr. Roger Parsons, the director of Engineering Outreach, and Dr. Paul Crilly, associate professor in the EECS department. The third trip will allow students to travel to Innsbruck, Austria to study climate, climate change and water resources while focusing on regions in the European Alps. The course will be taught by Dr. Glenn Tootle, assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE).

To find out more about these opportunities, click here! And check back next week for two additional student study abroad stories!

Student News

Office of Research to Host Presentation by Lieutenant General Patrick O’Reilly

The Office of Research is hosting a presentation by Lieutenant General Patrick O’Reilly, director of the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), to students and faculty on Monday, September 19, 2011, from 2:30-3:20 p.m. in Dougherty Engineering Building, Room 612. The presentation will focus on MDA’s mission and career opportunities.

As director of MDA, Lt. Gen. O’Reilly oversees the agency’s worldwide mission to develop a capability to defend against ballistic missile attacks. During his career, he served in both command and staff officer positions in a variety of operational units, including the 1st Cavalry Division, and as an assistant professor of physics at the United States Military Academy. He is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy and has an M.S. degree in Physics, National Security and Strategic Studies and Business.

The MDA is a research, development and acquisition agency within the Department of Defense. MDA seeks to develop, test and field an integrated ballistic missile defense system that protects the U.S., our forward deployed forces and our friends and allies from hostile ballistic missile attack. Click here for more information about MDA.

For questions, please contact Paul Montgomery at [log in to unmask] or Jim Mazzouccolo at [log in to unmask].

Tutors Needed for Fall 2011

Tutors are needed in the following subject areas:

• Accounting 200
• Chemistry 120
• French 211
• Math 119, 123 & 125
• Sociology 210
• Microbiology 210

This part-time employment opportunity pays $7.50 per hour for undergraduate tutors and $8.50 per hour for graduate tutors. Completion of an EAP Tutor Application is required. If you are interested in becoming a tutor for the Educational Advancement Program, contact Celeste Brooks at [log in to unmask] or 974-7900.

JICS & IGMCS Co-host Seminar Series Through November

This fall, staff from many parts of the university will participate in a series co-hosted by the Joint Institute for Computational Science (JICS) and the Interdisciplinary Graduate Minor in Computational Sciences program (IGMCS). These organizations will offer a series of tutorials and seminars designed to provide UTK students, faculty and staff with practical information about using UTK’s computational science resources, as well as other associated opportunities for participation and collaboration.

Seminars and tutorials in the series will be given by personnel from the National Institute for Computational Sciences (NICS), the Remote Data Analysis and Visualization Center (RDAV), UTK’s Innovative Computing Laboratory (ICL) and OIT’s Research Computing Support team. The series will be held on Thursdays starting at 2 p.m. in Claxton 233. All interested students, faculty and staff are welcome and encouraged to attend. For more information, contact Jim Ferguson at [log in to unmask].

For a list of scheduled speakers, visit http://igmcs.utk.edu/seminars/.

College of Engineering Online Store!

The University of Tennessee, College of Engineering (COE) Online Store is now live! COE students, alumni and friends can now purchase apparel and accessories that identify them not just to the University of Tennessee, but to the College of Engineering, all from their computer with just a click of a button. This is COE merchandise that can only be found at the online store. Here's the link: http://www.shgstores.com/utkce/.

Faculty News

MABE Professor Publishes Book

Dr. Kenneth D. Kihm, Magnavox Professor of the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering, published his first book, titled Near-Field Characterization of Micro/Nano-Scaled Fluid Flows, by Springer this year. The near-field region within 100 nm from a solid interface is an exciting arena where important multi-scale transport phenomena take place, ranging from the flow shear drag to the binding of bio-molecules. This book presents the basic principles, specifics of implementation and example applications of a number of advanced microscopic imaging techniques for near-field fluidic characterizations. These methods include Total Internal Reflection Microscopy (TIRM), Optical Serial Sectioning Microscopy (OSSM), Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM), Surface Plasmon Resonance Microscopy (SPRM) and Reflection Interference Contrast Microscopy (RICM).

UTSI Professor Awarded Patent

Dr. Jacqueline (Jackie) Johnson, associate professor at the University of Tennessee Space Institute, was awarded a patent on August 30. The patent details are as follows: The field of digital radiography is divided into computed radiography (CR) and digital radiography (DR) branches. CR systems are based on x-ray storage plates which can be exposed and later read out in a scanner. DR systems use either a scintillator (“indirect”) or a photoconductor (“direct”) as the primary x-ray detector. Present direct DR systems, based on selenium, achieve good image quality but are quite expensive, and each exam room requires a separate detector. Past CR systems are cheaper and easier to retrofit into existing exam rooms, but suffer from resolution limitations due to light scattering in the phosphor. This invention relates to a new computed radiography (CR) system particularly useful for digital mammography. It is an imaging system for any photostimulable (and “substantially transparent”) glass plate. The system also has a light collector, which has a light reflecting inner surface to collect photoluminescent light from the glass plate. A detector receives the photostimulated light and an analog to digital converter converts the light to a diagnostic image. The “substantially transparent” glass plate greatly improves spatial resolution.

First E-bike Sharing Program in Nation Launched on Campus

The University of Tennessee has launched the first e-bike sharing program in the nation. The bike-sharing station has seven e-bikes and three bicycles and is located at Presidential Court on campus. A second station is expected to open on the Agriculture Campus in the next couple months. The program is the result of research from Dr. Chris Cherry, assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), and Dr. Stacy Worley and David Smith from Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science.

To find out more about cycleUshare, visit http://cycleushare.utk.edu or email [log in to unmask]. Check out media coverage from Knoxnews, WATE and WBIR!

Engineering Professional Practice Announcements

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s new Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu or calling 865-974-5323.

UPCOMING EVENTS

  • Interviewing Strategies, Sept. 14 at 5 p.m., Alumni Memorial Bldg., Room 210
  • Engineering Expo, Sept. 22 at 3 p.m., University Center Ballroom

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured Student: Rebekah Patton

Our featured student this week is Rebekah Patton, a chemical and biomolecular engineering student who completed her summer 2011 co-op assignment with Dow Chemical Company at the Polyethylene Production Plant located in Plaquemine, La.

“I worked in the Polyethylene C, a low density polyethylene production plant," Patton said. "I worked on six projects. Three of my projects were safety-driven initiatives. The first was to assist in a Reactive Chemistry Process Hazard Analysis Audit. For the audit, I created two PowerPoint presentations outlining the catalyst system and thermal insulation system, the chemical reaction hazards they pose, and the measurements in place to protect against them. The second project was to replace all of the current fire nozzles that surround our metal alkyl tanks with a new, safer fog-style nozzle. The third safety-focused project also involved pyrophoric materials.

"My other three projects were focused on enhancing business profitability. My first project in this area was to create an excel-based computer program to track raw material usage in the plant. The program pulls in tank percentage data from our control system and converts it to a usable volume in cubic feet and a weight in pounds. I also led a Root Cause Investigation, based on the Apollo Root Cause Analysis Methodology. The event I investigated involved three lots of downgraded material due to low additive concentration. Through the investigation, the cause was identified and addressed to prevent this loss of revenue in the future and thus enhanced business profitability. My final project was to reduce utility use – and therefore production cost in the plant – by compiling all the PNIDs on the nitrogen and steam systems into master flow diagrams that pinpointed all of the flow indicators, allowing for easy utility usage tracking.

"Overall, I had a wide range of invaluable experiences during my summer with Dow. There was not a day that passed that I did not feel like I learned something new and incredible. And at the same time, I feel that I provided Dow with valuable work, leaving me with a great feeling of accomplishment. I cannot wait to continue my career with Dow and highly recommend them to anyone considering a co-op or internship in industry.”

Patton said this experience helped her to evision her life down the road.

“I honestly feel like I could write a dissertation on the benefits of my co-op term, but if I had to choose only one benefit, it would be that accepting and completing a co-op provided me with a greater long-term focus. Before this experience, I had no idea what I would be doing once I received my degree, but now I know where I see myself in five years, and 10 years, and dare I even say 20 years. I can see my future working for Dow, as a run-plant, as an improvement engineer, an operations leader, a production leader, even as a business management leader. Seeing where my hard work - combined with a degree from the University of Tennessee - can take me has been inspiring. I am more motivated now as a student and as a person than I was before this experience. I cannot wait to continue my education and apply what I learn in my future co-op terms and my future career.”

Students may read more about their peers’ co-op/internship experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.”

For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

Seminar Announcement

Materials Graduate Seminar
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
1:25 p.m. Dougherty Engineering Building Room 612
Speaker: Robert H. Wagoner

A Practical Meso-Scale Polycrystal Model to Predict Dislocation Densities, Lattice Curvatures, and the Hall-Petch Effect

A practical two-scale method has been developed and implemented to predict quantitatively the Hall-Petch effect as well as local microstructural details such as dislocation densities and lattice curvatures. The first scale is a finite element model of a polycrystal using novel single-crystal constitutive equations. The second scale redistributes the mobile part of the dislocation density within grains consistent with the plastic strain distribution, and enforces slip transmission criteria at grain boundaries that depend on local grain and boundary properties. Stepwise simulation at the two scales proceeds sequentially.

The procedure was formulated with a minimum number of undermined or arbitrary parameters: three. These parameters are related to single-crystal strain hardening and do not invoke additional length scales or tacit grain properties.

The following advances were demonstrated, thus paving the way for a new dimension of material design based on grain and grain boundary properties:
1) Quantitative prediction of the Hall-Petch slopes without imposing unrealistic or unobserved dislocation configurations (pile-ups). The predicted slopes agree with experiments for pure iron within the estimated scatter.
2) Quantitative prediction of dislocation densities consistent with grain-dislocation and dislocation-dislocation interactions. Comparisons with maximum lattice curvatures measured experimentally for Fe-3%Si show agreement within the estimated scatter.
3) Computationally tractable meso-scale treatment of large numbers of dislocations, their interactions, and the relationship between their redistribution and strain. The method imposes a 5% time penalty relative to standard finite element simulation times.