Here is a great article - please pass it along!

It’s School Counselor, Thank You : Moving Away From Guidance Counselor

August 11, 2011, By Nathan Grosshandler  (http://www.childswork.com)

What’s in a name?  It may seem that using the titles school counselor and
guidance counselor interchangeably has little influence on one’s professional
abilities.  After all, they really are the same thing….right?  The problem with this
philosophy is the perceptions of others (students, parents, teachers,
administrators) of what a guidance counselor is…..and it certainly is not a
school counselor.

Perceptions of a Guidance Counselor

A simple Google search provided the following descriptions for guidance
counselor:
•	A member of the staff of a high school whose job is advising students
about course selection, possible careers, preparation for college, etc.
•	Guidance counselors have the role of student advisor. They work with
students on career and college planning and help them pick their course of
study. They monitor and adjust student schedules to best serve the students’
academic needs. They may also be involved in intelligence and psychological
testing.
•	Someone whose job it is to help students which their school or personal
problems, or to advise them about making career choices.

The typical perception of a guidance counselor is one of the professional sitting
behind the desk all day, meeting with one student after another to discuss
issues varying from social and academic problems to career and college
advisement.  Don’t believe me?  A quick review of these cartoons should sway
you towards agreement with me.
(http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/g/guidance_counselor.asp )

Why School Counselor?

Using the title school counselor helps you, and us, escape the perceptions
represented above.  Professionally, we are much different than these
depictions of our occupational ancestors.  We thank them for their
contribution, but realize it is time to move on.  The American School Counselor
Association (ASCA) puts it best as they define a school counseling as “helping
all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social
development, and career development, ensuring today’s students become
productive, well adjusted adults of tomorrow.”  School counselors are not “desk
jockeys” replicating the same actions year after year. We provide services
individually, in group settings and in classrooms on a regular basis.  School
counselors are educational professionals who align their actions with school and
district goals and are able to collect and analyze data to demonstrate
effectiveness.

Moving towards School Counselor

So, as the new school year begins, I challenge all of us to stay away from the
“G” word. Ask yourself:
•	How do I sign my letters?
•	How do I answer my phone?
•	What does the sign on my office say?
•	What does my letter head say?
•	How am I introduced by colleagues?

If you run into the “G” word this school year, remember, “Its school counselor,
thank you!”

Writer: Nathan Grosshandler
Bio: Nathan is currently the Director of School
Counseling for the Highland Park School District in Highland Park, NJ.  He has
spent over ten years working in education as a teacher, school counselor, and
administrator. Follow Nate on Twitter: @NaGrosshandler.

To view the SMC archives or Join/Leave the list:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/smc.html