@COE for the week of August 5, 2011

If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

Banner

For the week of August 5, 2011

This is @COE's last biweekly issue for the summer; it will resume publication on a weekly basis beginning Friday, Aug. 19.

Please send submissions for @COE to Julie Stansberry in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Student News

Tutors Needed!

Students - your skills, time and commitment are greatly needed! Current, former and prospective tutors are encouraged to attend the UT Educational Advancement Program Tutor Recruitment & Orientation Session on Tuesday, Aug. 16, from 9-10 a.m. in Room 225 of the University Center.

The agenda includes a review of EAP tutorial component expectations and requirements. Please RSVP to Celeste Brooks at [log in to unmask] or by calling 974-7900.

Faculty and Staff News

EECS Professor Receives NSF Research Grant

Dr. Fangxing (Fran) Li, associate professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS), received a three-year research grant up to $239,254 from the National Science Foundation (NSF). The grant is funded by the Energy, Power and Adaptive Systems (EPAS) program under the Electrical, Communications and Cyber Systems (ECCS) division of the NSF. Li is the sole PI of this effort. This is Li’s 5th NSF project since 2007 (two as co-PI, one as site PI and two as PI).

The objective of this NSF project, entitled “GPU-based matrix condensation with sparse matrix techniques for power system simulation,” is to solve fundamental power system analyses using the graphics processing unit architecture. Matrix condensation algorithm and sparse matrix techniques will be explored to iteratively solve a set of linearized equations for the nonlinear power system problems. The proposed work could lead to practical applications for power system simulation with significant speedup, such that faster-than-real-time simulation may be achieved for post-fault real-time analysis. Thus, it can be highly possible to develop real-time corrective controls with precision, and power systems can be operated closer to security margins. This will provide significant technology advancement toward a smarter power grid. Further, the impact of the project may penetrate into numerous research communities since the solution of a linear system can be essential to many engineering and science disciplines.

Including this project, Li has obtained $1.9 million external research funding since joining UTK in August 2005. Visit his website here.

CEE Professor's Research Mentioned in Magazine

Dr. Chris Cherry, assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), has been mentioned in the August 2011 issue of Outside magazine for his research project on a campus bike-share model. The name of the article is "Plug and Play," and can be viewed online by clicking here. Cherry is mentioned on the last page of the article.

COE Provides Support for Two Programs

The College of Engineering, along with many other sponsors, provided support for the Tennessee Junior Science and Humanities Symposium and the Tennessee Science Olympiad State Tournament during the spring semester. Both events are administered through the College of Arts and Sciences. Many faculty, graduate students and undergraduate volunteers from the COE helped make these two events possible.

The Tennessee Junior Science and Humanities Symposium consisted of 15 students who presented their research in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines as they competed for college scholarships.

The Tennessee Science Olympiad State Tournament consisted of top teams from the state's seven regional Science Olympiad tournaments. Eighteen teams in each of the two divisions (middle and high schools) competed in 23 different academic events.

To view a photo gallery of the Tennessee Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, please click here. To see STEM initiatives, please click here.

Engineering Professional Practice Announcement

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s new Facebook page, following the program on Twitter, visiting its website at www.coop.utk.edu or calling 865-974-5323.

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured student: Toniqua S. Hunter

Our featured student this week is Toniqua S. Hunter, a mechanical engineering student who completed her Summer 2011 semester at Southern Company in Atlanta, Ga.

“I worked in the mechanical design department at the Georgia Power Headquarters," Hunter said. "I was responsible for drawing systems on a computer software program called AutoPlant. I assisted with a project that gave me the opportunities to learn how to do a purchase and installation specification. My job was to assist the lead engineers with projects that would help make power plants more efficient.”

In describing the biggest challenge she experienced, she said, “At times I would get irritated when working on a piping and instrumental diagram (drawing) because I would mess up and have to start over. I came to the realization that I do not have room for careless mistakes. Careless mistakes can delay the project or make you have to start over. I had to slow down and take my time; I also checked my work constantly to make sure I did not have any errors.”

The most valuable benefit she received by accepting this co-op assignment was "growing as a person."

"Working at Southern Company, I was held accountable for my work and actions," Hunter said. "I understand the true meaning of responsibilities, commitment, leadership, trust, good communications and patience.”

Students may read more about their peers’ co-op/internship experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.”

For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

Advising Announcements

Students Now Can Apply to Graduate Through MyUTK

All students who have not already applied to graduate in Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 can now apply for graduation online through MyUTK. It is very important that students' profile information is up-to-date before they submit a graduation application. This information includes the student's degree, major, concentration, minor and catalog year.

Students can apply for graduation by going to the "UTK Student Academic Links" inside MyUTK. Before submitting their graduation application, they should view their information in MyUTK from the "View Your Profile" tab. If the student's profile information is not correct, the following staff should be contacted to update the profile:

Undergraduate students should contact their college advising center, academic department or dean's office to have the correct information entered into the system. Undergraduate students who have other questions can contact the Office of the University Registrar at 974-2101.

Graduate students should contact the Graduate School at [log in to unmask] or 974-2475 for information on changing academic programs.

Career Services Announcements

Part-Time Job Fair
Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2011
2-5 p.m.
University Center Ballroom

Speak with representatives about on and off-campus part-time job opportunities. This job fair is open to all majors and all class levels.

Sample employers include:

• Aramark
• Boys & Girls Club of the TN Valley
• Clayton Homes/Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance
• Jewelry Television
• Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB)
• Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education
• OIT
• University of Tennessee Telefund
• WDVX
• AND MORE: Log onto www.career.utk.edu

Dress business casual, and bring extra copies of your resume!

Career Services Annual Cookout
Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011
11 a.m.-12 p.m.
Courtyard Outside of Dunford Hall

As a ceremonial kick-off to recruiting season, please join Career Services for our 5th Annual Cookout! Hotdogs, hamburgers and veggie burgers will be provided FREE to students, faculty and staff by our corporate partners. Students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend.

It’s Coming: Engineering Career Success Kick-Off Week
Mark your Calendars: Sept. 12-15
More details to follow

Fall 2011 Job Fair
Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2011
2-6 p.m.
Thompson-Boling Arena

More than 75 companies are currently registered for the job fair and are looking to fill full-time post-graduation, short-term contract and internship positions.

Sample employers include:

• Altec Industries
• AREVA
• Avery Dennison
• Bechtel Corporation
• Belden
• BNSF Railway
• CGI
• ConAgra Foods
• Dell
• DENSO Manufacturing
• Eaton Electrical
• Enercon Services
• Gerdau
• International Paper
• Johnson & Johnson
• Lauren Engineers & Constructors, Inc.
• Microsoft Corporation
• National Nuclear Security Administration
• NAVSEA-NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD
• Norfolk Southern Corporation
• Novelis
• Oak Ridge National Lab
• PolyOne Corporation
• Sargent & Lundy
• Schlumberger
• URS Corporation
• AND MORE: Log onto www.career.utk.edu

Dress professionally, and bring extra copies of your resume!

ATTENTION INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING MAJORS

Don’t forget to attend the Logistics Fair
Monday, Sept. 26, 2011
4-6 p.m.
Thompson-Boling Arena

If you have submissions for @COE, the college's electronic newsletter, please send them to Julie Stansberry at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.