Karen writes :

> This Opinionator blog post from the NY Times may come
> in handy for those students working on dissertations this
> summer  :-)

For my part, however, I'm not at all sure to what extent those
students working on dissertations this summer, or at any other
time, or indeed any one else, should put faith in such -- to all
appearances -- cavalier assertions as the following :

> Bad spellers are a breed apart from good ones.  A writer
> with a mind that doesn't register how words are spelled
> tends to see through the words he encounters--straight
> to the things, characters, ideas, images and emotions
> they conjure. A good speller . . . tends to see language as
> a system.

I have, myself, very real doubts that there exist any
demonstrable significant correlations of the sort being
simplistically and nonchalantly posited here. ( Am I the
only one ? )

I don't notice that Heffernan alludes to any studies that
would serve to back up her seemingly off-the-cuff obiter
dicta. [ Slight redundancy intentional, for purposes of
emphasis :-). ]

Have such hypotheses in fact ever been a subject of any
credible research ?  How, indeed, could one best *go about
testing* them ?  I'd be genuinely interested to hear from
anyone who is aware of any relevant published results at all.
Especially since this *looks* like an urban myth which
Heffernan is serving up for us.

- Laval Hunsucker
 Antwerpen, België