Just a friendly reminder about the upcoming deadline (July 15) for ALISE Juried Paper Proposals.

--Don

Begin forwarded message:

From: Don Latham <[log in to unmask]>
Date: June 15, 2011 12:56:35 PM EDT
To: Don Latham <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ALISE 2012 Juried Papers CFP

2012 ALISE Annual Conference

Extending Our Reach:  Expanding Horizons, Creating Opportunities
Tuesday, January 17 through Friday, January 20, Dallas, TX
Call for Juried Paper Proposals
Deadline for extended abstracts (maximum 1,000 words): July 15, 2011
Notification of acceptance: September 15, 2011

This call for juried paper proposals seeks original contributions including reports of research, theory, pedagogy, best practices, think pieces, and critical essays that contribute to elaboration of the conference theme of Extending Our Reach:  Expanding Horizons, Creating Opportunities.  Information touches all aspects of our personal and work lives, and the field of Library and Information Science (LIS) has been quick to engage across disciplines as social, cultural, and institutional realities have evolved.  Staying connected in the midst of continuous, sometimes profound, change is not simply reassuring, but a strategic imperative to the growth and health of society, and, along with it, to the design and promotion of LIS, and of LIS education.

The theme for the 2012 ALISE Annual Conference builds on that notion of connectedness, and asks us to think beyond, to stretch, to extend our reach beyond disciplinary boundaries, across the academy, outside of North America, and to areas where a deep understanding of the information lifecycle, of the systems that engage with it, and the individuals who depend on it have been beyond the scope of LIS/Information Studies research and education previously.

(More information on the conference theme can be found at:  http://www.alise.org/)

Proposals should be for original papers, not for papers that have been previously published. There are no restrictions on research methodology.  Alternative perspectives, creative and non-conventional responses to library and information science education concerns within the context of expanding our horizons are welcomed and encouraged.

Instructions for Submission

Extended abstracts should include the following:

o Title of the paper
o Names, affiliations, and contact information of the authors and one author to be designated as the contact for the paper
o Up to 1,000 word description of the proposed paper
o Select reference list

Abstracts will be evaluated by the Juried Paper Proposals Committee according to the following criteria:

o Connection to conference theme
o Relevance to current and emerging issues in LIS education
o Originality of ideas
o Potential impact / significance
o Select references to relevant literature
o Overall quality of writing

The Conference Juried Paper Proposals Committee Chair will send an acknowledgement of all abstracts received and applicants will be informed of the Committee=92s decisions by September 15, 2011.  Conference presentation time slots will be published in the conference program. All presenters are required to register for the ALISE 2012 conference.

Deadline for submissions is July 15, 2011.  Please submit abstracts via email in PDF or WORD format to Don Latham, Florida State University:  [log in to unmask]

Please note:  Juried paper proposals accepted for presentation at the conference, which are developed into full papers, are eligible for consideration for the JELIS best papers conference issue. Deadline for submission of full papers for possible publication in JELIS will be March 1, 2012, and those submissions should be made to the editors of JELIS.

Don Latham, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
School of Library & Information Studies
Florida State University