Dominican University awarded grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services

River Forest, IL – Dominican University’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) has received a $50,000 Collaborative Planning Grant from the 2011 National Leadership Grants program of the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).  The grant is for one year beginning on July 1, 2011.

In collaboration with its creative partner, The Archimedia Workshop, Dominican University will use the grant funds to bring together nationally recognized leaders and scholars to help shape the conceptual framework for the production and filming of a planned PBS documentary on the American Public Library in the Digital Age.

“ We are delighted that the Institute of Museum and Library Services was able to provide much needed support for this exciting project,” stated Susan Roman, Dean of GSLIS.  “As far as we know there hasn’t been a full scale documentary on the Public Library in the United States.  We are extremely lucky to be working with our creative partner, The Archimedia Workshop, whose director is a very experienced documentary producer.”

Archimedia director,  Judith McBrien, stated, “ It’s a great opportunity for us to work with Susan Roman and Dominican University’s Graduate School of Library and Information Science in planning this television production about new ideas that are shaping the American public library. Their expertise and enthusiasm make them a perfect partner and we’re looking forward to our collaboration.”

The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation’s 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. The Institute’s mission is to create strong libraries and museums that connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and innovation; and support professional development. To learn more about the Institute, please visit www.imls.gov.

Accredited by the American Library Association (ALA), Dominican University’s GSLIS has been educating future library leaders and information professionals since the 1930’s. The school offers master’s degrees in library and information science as well as a doctor of philosophy in library and information science.

The Archimedia Workshop is an award-winning media production company led by Judith Paine McBrien, who has more than twenty years experience producing programming about history, architecture and urban design for public television and other organizations. Its most recent production, Make No Little Plans: Daniel Burnham and the American City, narrated by actress Joan Allen, had its Washington, DC debut on the National Mall and aired nationally on PBS in September, 2010.