Charliey, you are right, but I think that needs to be extended.  There are  and have been for many years not-for-profit, bricks andd mortar institutions that have been playing fast and loose with degrees.  Some for profits are close to the edge, but I suspect I am not the only one who has a personal list of colleges and universities that could have once been called and may still be diploma mills.

Del Williams

From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Seavey [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 9:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Past due, part 2

For whatever mysterious reason the link I originally posted to MSNBC did not work. Try this one:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43373638

There is a note to the effect that the story was revised, which may explain its disappearance yesterday. In any case this "for profit" education business is something that has long needed some oversight, IMHO.

charley seavey
Ranganathan Said It All!