It's not the medium; it's how we use it.

1.  Classroom teaching can be great with lively, challenging interaction
between all participants.

It can also be terrible as (many of us have experienced) when someone
who believes that "telling" is "teaching" drones on and on in lectures,
assigns readings and tests only on comprehension of readings and memory
of lectures.  If we had any interchanges at all with our fellow students
in such classes it is only to complain in the hall.  Just sitting in a
room together does not guarantee interaction.

2. The /same thing /is true of online teaching.   They can be just
"correspondence courses on steroids" for large numbers of people (more
than would fit into a traditional classroom which increases university
profits) ... /or /they can be true graduate education with small groups
of people interacting with ideas and concepts through live audio/visual
media.

I don't know what media Kent State is using,  but I find my small Adobe
Connect classes  (using web cams and shared screens) at LSU SLIS  to be
at least as effective   and usually better than  some classrooms  ...
/because/ it is not the  passive non-interactive model of online ed
being just an automated workbook to accompany the text.

It's not the medium; it's how we use it.

In my experience (as both a student and a professor at 5 LIS schools),
good distance graduate education allows for geographical freedom.  If it
is completely asynchronous it allows a little bit of time shifting.

If it is good education,  online education does /not /take /less/ time
than a good classroom class  for either students or faculty.   If it
requires typing thoughts that might otherwise be spoken, it always takes
more time.  And that's worth it.

Michelynn McKnight

PS In fact, now that I think of it,  it's wrong for me to tar all
"correspondence courses" as mindless.   Back in the day, I took a two
mail-based  undergraduate correspondence courses  which illustrate the
same issue.  One was simply  " read the text, do the worksheets and take
the test".  Another was a terrific  (often handwritten) one-on-one
interaction with  a fine scholar in French literature.   I'm sure that
the first was easier for someone to grade;  but I have retained so much
more from the second.   Thank you Dr. Shapiro!

--

Michelynn McKnight, PhD, AHIP

Associate Professor

Schoolof Libraryand Information Science

LouisianaState University

269 Coates Hall

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

225-578-7411

/Health Science Librarians: Doing better what they’ve always done well./