Greetings colleagues,

We at the School of Library and Information Studies, The University of Alabama,  thank all of our colleagues in the state and throughout the library and information science community for their messages, calls, and expressions of concern following the massive tornado that struck Tuscaloosa and our region on the afternoon of April 27. As the media reported, this event was both devastating and unprecedented.  At the University we are working today to try to find all of our faculty, staff and students, and to assist those who have survived but are without homes, vehicles, and personal effects.  The University is up and running, although classes, examinations and commencement have been cancelled.

We are receiving two questions from the many kind folks who have contacted us. These are  (1) Is everyone in your school okay? And (2) What can we do to help?  I will give you the answers that I have to date.

(1)    All faculty and staff of the School of Library and Information Studies are accounted for.  Several suffered total loss of or extensive damage to their homes and are not able to occupy their properties any longer, and others who live in the city had minor damage (trees on the homes, cars smashed, etc.).  Many of us remain without power and potable water, and our communication technologies are still not working well from many areas.  Cell phone towers, telephone lines, electrical poles and lines, and water towers were destroyed in the storm, so if you do not hear from the people you are messaging they are probably having trouble with communications.  These services are being restored, but we are told that some services may take a week or more to come back.

Within the University of Alabama community we know that at least six UA students lost their lives due to the tornado and the search continues. Faculty and staff who lived in the most devastated areas are beginning to check in and several departments in the University have put out calls for their people to report.  Our School’s administrative staff and faculty are waiting for messages from students who have not yet reported in; through various listservs, personal e-mails,  and facebook we have heard from a large contingent of students and alumni and we are thankful that we have heard from so many who are safe.

(2)    Many SLIS constituents, including our colleagues from other LIS programs, have offered to send money, to come to Tuscaloosa to volunteer in the recovery efforts, and to contribute to help those who are affected here.  Our University makes the following suggestions.

“Because of the number of injuries, please consider donating blood. You can donate blood at any American Red Cross location and designate it for Tuscaloosa. This is one of the most important actions we can take to help those affected in the Tuscaloosa area.

Members of the UA community who would like to offer assistance may continue to sign up to volunteer at St. Matthias Church at 2310 Skyland Blvd. Those who desire to contribute to community relief efforts may also contact the local chapters of the American Red Cross and the United Way.

Many have asked for additional ways you can help. Contributions to the UA Acts of Kindness Fund will be used to help UA students, faculty and staff who need assistance as a result of storm damage.  The University will continue to provide resources as additional needs become known.”

As director of the School of Library & Information Studies at the University of Alabama, I am speaking for all of us here when I say thank you so very much for your concern.  We continue to put one foot in front of the other and we know that, with your continued support and concern, better days are ahead.

Best regards,

Elizabeth Aversa

Director

School of Library & Information Studies