From what I can see in the Swedish union catalogue LIBRIS, there are two subscriptions to ELIS 3rd ed. in Sweden, and I am very happy that we at the Swedish School of Library and Information Science (SSLIS) at the University of Borås have access to this highly useful encyclopaedia.

Ola Pilerot

Adjunkt och doktorand / Lecturer & PhD candidate
Institutionen biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap/Bibliotekshögskolan /Swedish School of Library and Information Science
Högskolan i Borås / University of Borås
SE-501 90 BORÅS
SWEDEN
Tfn.: 033-435 43 29
http://www.adm.hb.se/~opi/index.html
http://lincs.gu.se/members/ola_pilerot/

Marcia J. Bates wrote :

> -->Yet only half of the US and Canadian LIS programs have
> bought the encyclopedia, according to OCLC's WorldCat.
> Most of the British, Scandinavian, or other European schools
> have not bought it, . . .

This does indeed seem noteworthy.

There is not a single copy present in this country ( according to
our union catalogue ). There appears, on a quick check, to be for
example only one copy in Spain ( at the national library ), only
one in France ( at the national library ), only one in Italy ( Torino ),
only one in Austria ( Graz ), only ( ! ) two in the UK ( BL and
Liverpool ).  And hardly any evidence of online subscriptions.

How is one to explain this ?  For a "comprehensive state-of-the-art
review" ?  Why should one have ultimately to resort to a "special
appeal" by the editor ?

Any suggestions ?

- Laval Hunsucker
  Breukelen, Nederland