Got what I think is a quick question that dates me terribly.  Was thinking this morning about professional doctorates (e.g., EdD, JD, PsyD,Doctor of Nursing Practice) that seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days, and the DLS (Doctor of Library Science or Doctor of Library Service) came to mind.  It was my understanding that it was the only doctorate that Columbia offered when they had a library science program, and the last person that I knew who held one was a person who got his at Southern Cal before that school closed.  There it was a way around the university requirement that PhD programs have residential requirements.  My question is, do any of these programs still exist.  I know that Simmons has a DA program, but is that the only non-PhD doctoral program offered by LIS programs these days?  No reason for wanting to know, just curious.

Del Williams

From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kennan, Mary Anne [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Expectations and Frameworks

G’day,

Interesting discussion. The answers in my (albeit limited) experience would be no, and no.  However, the discussion makes me question whether the responses from the students may be subliminally linked.  Most theory grows and develops from earlier theory, or has, at least,  some relationship with other theories. To really understand theory one needs to engage with past writing - the original on the theory and subsequent developments. To not go back beyond 2006, how could one engage thoughtfully and in an informed way with (almost) any theory or theoretical framework? Certainly most would be unable to be read in the original ....  Or perhaps in another sense -  I have heard a student claim that they were using grounded theory and so didn’t need a theoretical framework (which of course provoked an interesting discussion itself). And finally J, perhaps the first student was only understanding theory, or theoretical frameworks in the narrowest possible sense...

Cheerio

Mary Anne

--

Mary Anne Kennan, PhD