I'm working on my EdD in Learning & Leadership on an LIS topic right now, but I'm a former Polisci PhD-attempter (in my pre-librarian life) and carry that experience into this one with me. I will say that whereas in some other fields there are established theories which inform variables for quantitative studies, I've found little similar traction on the LIS side, whcih makes it very different from my other experience. (The other was much, much easier.) In some cases it forces me to go to other fields to establish why a variable is a valid measure of X, in other cases where something similar doesn't exist, I have to provide my own justification for including it in the model. In any case, I find that a conceptual foundation is essential, even if there's not a boatload of theory that you might find in other disciplines. I couldnt imagine any committee pushing forth a dissertation without an established base of theory or conceptual framework, though.

Colleen S. Harris