Reading some of the posts, I also wonder about the differences from disciplines - Education, Information Science/Computer Science, Information Technology, Communications, Librarianship, Archives, Humanities/Social Sciences in professional schools today.

What are graduate programs looking at in terms of recent initiatives on the doctorate
which have been brought up before on several lists & what is the impact on doctoral study today in graduate schools in terms of students & faculty available.  We have a growing number of adjunct faculty however--can they advise doctoral students on the same level and be part of those same doctoral committees?   How can there be framework in this way when there are no faculty members "interested" ?
      many questions, thanks / kw

http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/previous-work/professional-graduate-education

The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching

Professional & Graduate Education

"Carnegie has a long history in the study of professional education, beginning with The Flexner Report in 1910 and legal education in the 1930s. In this tradition, Carnegie investigated the preparation of several professions, and also examined the doctorate as the professional degree for college and university teachers."

"Carnegie Initiative on the Doctorate"

"The CID was a five year action and research project that worked with doctoral-granting departments committed to restructuring their programs to better prepare graduates. Six disciplines were included: chemistry, education, English, history, mathematics and neuroscience."

Senior Staff
George Walker, Senior Scholar
Chris Golde, Senior Scholar
Laura Jones, Senior Scholar
Andrea Conklin Bueschel, Research Scholar

Major Publications

"The Formation of Scholars: Rethinking Doctoral Education for the Twenty-First Century"
George Walker, Chris M. Golde, Laura Jones, Andrea Conklin Bueschel, Pat Hutchings. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2008.