Doctoral Expectations and Frameworks

In my experience, doctoral studies should be grounded in some theoretical or conceptual framework. Indeed, I would expect this of most master’s thesis too. And, limiting students to literature published in the last five years seems ludicrous for most studies. I haven’t encountered either situation, but if Ken’s experiences are indicative of some trend, that would be a cause for serious concern.

Heidi Julien

Heidi Julien, Ph.D.

Professor & Graduate Coordinator

School of Library and Information Studies

3-20 Rutherford South

University of Alberta

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J4

Ph: 780-492-3934