ELIS's slight title change was problematic for users searching for the latest edition, although the intellectual rationale for "sciences" rather than "science" is obvious -- and led to some teachable moments as I helped students.   Now cross-references in our online catalog and our local Online Research Resources database compensate for the singular/plural problem.

To answer Karen's question, the separate LIS Library (located within the Main Library) was closed in May 2009 and the interdisciplinary LIS collection was dispersed among various departmental libraries and the central bookstacks.  We continue to have a separate budget to acquire LIS materials.   Librarian's office hours are held daily M-F at the LIS Building.  And we enhanced the content and functionality of the old LIS Library website and re-launched it as the LIS Virtual Library:  http://www.library.illinois.edu/lsx.  If anyone is interested, I can point you toward more information about the transformation of LIS library services.  Please contact me at [log in to unmask]

Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Weaver [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 7:50 AM
To: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum; Searing, Susan Ellis
Subject: Re: A special appeal ELIS responses-2003 ed print & a year online free

Thanks Susan , and in looking at the records at UIUC catalogs I saw noted for the 2nd ed. 2003  that purchasers of the print edition also then had access for one year to the online version then, which is also interesting to see and watch changes in formats & access by users.

Have the departmental collections all been merged into the main collections now from the iSchool library? This will also be interesting to see usage and access assessment and reasons all libraries are choosing which formats.

It is important to link these editions in the bibliographic record to know what came before the 3rd edition which many have done.  The ebook version via Informaworld also allows users to download and purchase individual sections directly, and I read the nice introduction in the 3rd edition ebook version which also gave background on the 2 earlier editions & notes about the previous editors involved.  This new edition has a change of title also so it's especially important to help users find it in our many catalogs locally, as well as WorldCat.

Thanks again,
Karen Weaver

http://vufind.carli.illinois.edu/vf-uiu/Record/uiu_4595748/Description

Drake, Miriam A. (Eds.) (2003) Encyclopedia of library and information science.New York : Marcel Dekker,

Physical Description:	4 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Includes:	Includes bibliographical references and index.
ISBN:	0824720776 (v. 1 : acid-free paper)
0824720784 (v. 2 : acid-free paper)
0824720792 (v. 3 : acid-free paper)
0824720806 (v. 4 : acid-free paper)

Edition:	2nd ed. / edited by Miriam A. Drake.

Summary
"The previous edition appeared in 1968, and has been updated with quarterly updates since then. In this second edition, entries are preceded by an introduction and succeeded by a bibliography and, often, a list of suggested readings. About 350 entries in all address areas pertaining to the digital library era (e-books, document information systems, wireless services, software quality management); describe library entities around the world (Indiana University Libraries, National Library of Malaysia, OCLC, Finnish Library Association, zoological park and aquarium libraries and archives); and discuss material long applicable to libraries (bibliographies, dictionaries, paper, reading, preservation of library materials). The contributor list is even larger than the list of entries and includes representatives from libraries around the world, but primarily from the US. Each volume ends with a comprehensive index. Purchase of the print edition allows free access to the online version for a year, making available the second edition, updated entries from the first edition, as well as quarterly updates of a more general kind. Each entry is designated by a DOI (digital object identifier) usable on the website to identify and download the entry for about $50. Editor Drake is professor emeritus, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.
Annotation (c)2003 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com) "

On 4/4/11, Searing, Susan Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, we've acquired the
> Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, 3rd ed., in both
> online and print formats.  Online, because that's our users' preferred
> medium for seeking information and because our many distance education
> students rely on online access.  In print, because we anticipate that
> ELIS will become an important historical resource, just as the first
> edition is now.  We are fortunate, as a major research library, to be
> able to afford this level of access; many smaller libraries cannot.
>
> On a side note, we very recently added ELIS to the LIS Easy Search,
> our discipline-focused federated search tool:
> http://www.library.illinois.edu/lsx.  I hope this will generate more
> use of the encyclopedia, but it's too soon to tell.
>
> Sue
>
> Susan E. Searing
> Library & Information Science Librarian University of Illinois,
> Urbana-Champaign
> 310 Main Library, 1408 West Gregory Drive Urbana, Illinois 61801 USA
> Telephone: 217-333-4456
> Email: [log in to unmask]

Karen Weaver, MLS Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask] /
Gmail: [log in to unmask]