Greetings All:

I am replying to Sharon and the list as a former Deputy State Librarian
(Ohio) who was, by definition, a public employee. With certain
exceptions, whatever I did on state time using state resources was
subject to disclosure under applicable open records legislation. I
didn't like it but those were the rules. One learned to use private
communication channels and one's own time for what one wanted to remain
private.

Although a long time professional librarian, I have a Ph.D. in higher
education administration. I learned early in my studies that in the
"public" higher education sector of the United States the history of
self-governance is quite different from the privileged status of some of
our private universities or some of our Latin American brethren. In
Latin America, a number of long-established university traditions
reflect a status that resembles an independent entity. Conversely, in
the U.S., if a professor is legally a state employee and uses state
resources to create "work products," those same products are often
subject to public disclosure according to the applicable open records
laws. I don't like it but it comes with the territory.

Perhaps the University of Wisconsin ought to go private?

With regards,
Bill
Bill Crowley, Ph.D.
Professor