I thought about your range of questions for several days.  My initial response is:  There are too many covering too wide a range of data.  Having written that, I would suggest that deanships in professional programs may fit essentially two models:  leaders and scholars.  I have seen where institutions will hire someone for his or her leadership skills to manage a situation, while others will hire someone for his or her scholarship to influence a situation. And, yes, there are clearly combinations of both.  I do not think that we are seeing differences from past generations, but a continuing shifting of emphasis as situations change.
George
From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Karen Weaver [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Herbert Goldhor & generational changes, leadership

Is it highly unusual anymore to have directors / deans of LIS /
iSchools who have never worked in libraries ?  Was this more common a
generation ago ?

How are todays Deans & faculty different ?

What is the impact on leadership of LIS programs --they had
specialization in the olden days too didn't they?

just questions as I read....I enjoyed reading the obituary and many
tributes about Dr Goldhor and his career.  Those were the days !
thanks for sharing your memories of him

As a graduate student at Albany for my Masters program I had one of my
last classes with Dr Tom Galvin who retired from SUNY Albany, but had
quite a career as well very involved actively with both ALA most of
his career and also as Dean at the now iSchool at Pittsburgh for many
years also.   Are Deans and Directors that much different today ?

--Karen Weaver

On 4/14/11, Bonnici, Laurie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It sounds, at least according to a recent discussion on this list, like
> students in one doctoral program will miss his scholarly endeavors.

> Laurie J. Bonnici, Ph.D.
> Project ALFA     http://www.projectalfa.slis.ua.edu
> Assistant Professor
> University of Alabama
> College of Communication and Information Sciences
> School of Library and Information Studies
> Tuscaloosa, AL
> Phone:  205-348-8824
> Fax: 205-348-3746
Karen Weaver, MLS, Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne
University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask] /
Gmail: [log in to unmask]