As other posters have noted, even if you're working on something original and novel, and there is no directly applicable theory, you look for the theory base or bases from related fields or areas that could justifiably be used to underpin your study and develop your new work based upon them.

As far as the date limits go, I do use them for some assignments. When I'm teaching a course and want students to look at the current state of the research on a topic, I will specify they must use research published within the last two years. If it's a comprehensive assignment or research paper then there is no restriction and students are expected to use the important research in the field, however old.

Surely it is one of the most common faults with graduate research that the literature reviews are not comprehensive enough? Too many students treat print materials (i.e. not available as full text electronic downloads) as if they do not exist.

Are both of these situations official policies, Ken, or student interpretations/generalizations from specific instances or assignments?

Andrew

>>> "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> 04/06/11 5:52 PM >>>
Two incidents in the past month lead me to raise a question on this list about doctoral studies. I want to be very careful to frame the question so that it is clear that I am seeking to understand expectations not to criticize them.
At a recent doctoral student presentation the candidate was asked about the theoretical framework for the study. The response was that the institution did not require a theoretical framework (for some of us this is a distinguishing feature between master's and doctoral work). Is this the case at your institution? Is this a change?
Today a doctoral student from another institution asked me about recent research in a specific area. The institution "requires that I use research no further back than the year 2006." (I will set aside whether there is any relationship between the topic of study and the date prescription.) Again, is this the case at your institution? Is this a change?
I have not encountered these before and wonder if there are changes underway or I am less aware of expectations elsewhere or whether these are unique.
Thank you.
[cid:3384940994_50458785]
Ken Haycock
voice: 778-689-5938