What a relief to hear that everyone is okay, although I am sure there is
much to deal with.  We are thinking of you down here in Florida! Melissa
Gross

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Wallace, Danny
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: UA SLIS and Tuscaloosa Update

Dear LIS Colleagues and Friends,

As many of you undoubtedly know, Tuscaloosa was struck by a massive tornado
yesterday afternoon.  The destruction is both intense and widespread, but is
concentrated in the central and east central portions of the city of
Tuscaloosa.  The University of Alabama campus does not appear to have
suffered significant damage but is largely without power.  Many of the areas
most seriously damaged were popular off-campus housing locations.  There are
many photos available at www.tuscaloosanews.com.  The site is slow - the
newspaper was one of the sites damaged by the storm.

As of this time, the faculty of SLIS are all accounted for.  Some faculty
and staff members' homes have experienced severe damage, but there are no
reported injuries.  SLIS alums are monitoring a check-in page for current
students, alums, and friends of the School.

University operations have been suspended through Friday and I suspect
decisions will be made a day at a time after that.

Danny