Interesting questions.

I am, for the moment, speaking for myself and not either of the
institutions for
which I am currently teaching in an adjunct role.

On theoretical framework: It depends. For those of you who took psych 101
somewhere along the line think of Maslow's triangle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs Research in any
field, I think, has a similar structure. At the bottom the field is
establishing basic facts and agreed upon terminology. The next level up is
telling the story and filling in the gaps. At another level or two we start
building theoretical constructs to explain the phenomenon at hand, and at the
very top we engage in experimental research and theory testing. Clearly the
terminology and structure I have outlined here is a rough take and could be
considerably refined.

So, back to the "It depends." If the question driving the dissertation is in a
field, or area within a field, sufficiently advanced to have a theoretical
framework, then clearly one should be present in the investigation. On the
other hand there are areas where we are still establishing some of the basic
facts, or telling the story, where a theoretical construct may not yet be
appropriate.

This is kind of a "let the punishment fit the crime" situation. Without seeing
the wording of the particular institution Ken mentions, I'd not be inclined to
make a final judgment on the requirement- or lack thereof.

On the "no research prior to 2006" issue: I am more than a little boggled by
this one. I simply cannot imagine the reasoning here unless it was
promogulated
by one those fools who believes that "everything is on the web." Since I
regularly commune with Louis Round Wilson's 1938 Geography of Reading,
and keep
Frederick Jackson Turner's 1893 frontier thesis in mind, having the
curtain drop
at 2006 makes no sense. It *may* make sense in some field like plasma physics,
or one of those fast moving hard science fields, but for anything resembling a
social science or humanities field the policy is simply ludicrous.

Just sayin'

Charley Seavey
The Professor
Ranganathan said it all!