>   Personally I am in the field to make
>   information freely available to people. Therefore I suggested
>   right from the start to make the chapters freely available on
>   E-LIS, a system I co-founded.

"Freely available" is not the same thing as "free." Money still has to change hands at
some point. And I see there are a lot of organizations putting membership and
other dollars into E-LIS.

I have no beef with "freely available," assuming there are no rights violations;
traditional publishing is not the end-all-and-be-all, and E-LIS should be applauded
and encouraged for providing an important alternate outlet. However, there are
costs involved with such initiatives that I for one couldn't hope to meet without
significnt long term sponsorship of some sort... and at this point in North
American economic history, can we really assume that money will continue to
flow in a particular direction, just because it always has?

If you read only one book this year, make it Tim Wu's The Master Switch; The
Rise and Fall of Information Empires.  Pulitzer Prize calibre.

>   Well these were probably the authors voting for their own
>   chapters.

Isn't that how the Academy Awards work?  Marcia and Mary, your Oscars are in
the mail :-)

Sue

Sue Easun
ca.linkedin.com/in/sueeasun