Re: cataloging ELIS as a continuation of earlier editions -examples to look at

for anyone interested:

University of Wisconsin Madison - I will follow with UCLA & U Pitt
records fyi as contins
for earlier editions . Again--for anyone interested.

Even though the first edition had so many volumes-did they also
correspond to annual yearly updates in between?  1968 - 2003/2005
These would be annuals and certainly representative of a continuing publication.
The format is where now we see things changing more with ELIS3 online
as e-resource and offered as ebooks with more licensing restrictions
as well.

again, these are just issues and sometimes barriers to locating
information as well
it is very likely also that many libraries just have ELIS3 sitting
somewhere as a title change or
as something that has to be changed from continuation to "something
else" --e-resource.

We can see that in the UW-Madison record from 2003 (field 956) it says
for example that the online access link ceased to be available after
the 3rd ed was published.

When searching online databases it's important to realize also that
some holdings as monographs are just going to be "hidden" in records
for Series /Continuations/Periodical holding records    i.e. non book
but series type publication records as well in libraries
If libraries have cataloged something as a continuation, will users
locate this holdings information with ease in a WorldCat search for
books?  it can be hit or miss.
   Cheers  / Karen W

Here is Wisconsin's catalog record for the first edition and second edition :
University Wisconsin Madison libraries

000	 01117cas a2200337 a 450
001	 366668
005	 20030605162337.0
008	 781117d19682003nyu x m 0 a0eng
010	 __ |a 68031232
035	 __ |a (OCoLC)04380549
035	 __ |9 ABP6662UW
040	 __ |a DLC |c TOL |d UCU |d m.c. |d OCL |d NYS |d RCS |d CRL
050	 __ |a Z1006 |b .E57
060	 0_ |a Z 1006 E56
069	 1_ |a E06770000
082	 __ |a 020/.3
096	 __ |a Z 1006 E56L
245	 00 |a Encyclopedia of library and information science.
260	 00 |a New York, N.Y. : |b Marcel Dekker, |c c1968-
300	 __ |a 73 v. : |b ill., facsims. ; |c 27 cm.
362	 0_ |a 1968-2003.
504	 __ |a Includes bibliographies.
515	 __ |a Vol. 36- also called suppl. 1-
555	 __ |a Vols. 1-33, 1968-1982, in vols. 34-35.
650	 _0 |a Information science |x Dictionaries |x Periodicals.
650	 _0 |a Library science |x Dictionaries |x Periodicals.
690	 __ |a Information Services |x encyclopedias
690	 __ |a Libraries |x encyclopedias
690	 __ |a Library Science |x encyclopedias
700	 10 |a Kent, Allen.
730	 00 |a Encyclopedia of library and information science. Supplement

University Wisconsin Madison libraries

000	 01302cam a2200349 a 45x
001	 6008406
005	 20100406113105.0
008	 030410s2003 nyua b 001 0 eng
010	 __ |a 2003048938
035	 __ |a (OCoLC)ocm52079540
040	 __ |a DLC |c DLC |d C#P |d WID
020	 __ |a 0824720776 (v. 1 : acid-free paper)
020	 __ |a 0824720784 (v. 2 : acid-free paper)
020	 __ |a 0824720792 (v. 3 : acid-free paper)
020	 __ |a 0824720806 (v. 4 : acid-free paper)
050	 00 |a Z1006 |b .E57 2003
082	 00 |a 020/.3 |2 21
092	 0_ |a 020.3 |b En19e2
049	 __ |a WIDA
245	 00 |a Encyclopedia of library and information science.
250	 __ |a 2nd ed. / |b edited by Miriam A. Drake.
260	 __ |a New York : |b Marcel Dekker, |c c2003.
300	 __ |a 4 v. : |b ill. ; |c 29 cm.
500	 __ |a Accompanied by supplements.
504	 __ |a Includes bibliographical references and index.
505	 0_ |a v. 1. Abs-Dec -- v. 2. Des-Lib -- v. 3. Lib-Pub -- v. 4. Pub-Zoo.
650	 _0 |a Library science |v Encyclopedias.
650	 _0 |a Information science |v Encyclopedias.
700	 1_ |a Drake, Miriam A.
730	 0_ |a Encyclopedia of library and information science, second
edition. |n First update supplement.
956	 41 |u http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.web/elis |x access
ceased w publ of 3rd ed
994	 __ |a X0 |b WID

On 4/4/11, Marcia J. Bates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Karen Weaver et al.,
>
> I think there must be a misunderstanding about the question of the
> number of holdings listed in OCLC's WorldCat for the Encyclopedia of
> Library and Information Sciences.  Karen, you are saying that other
> libraries may list ELIS3 as a continuation of the earlier editions,
> but I haven't found any examples of that.  Indeed, even the Library
> of Congress lists the editions separately.  I've looked under both of
> the specific records you point to (LC and OCLC), and they both list
> only the original editors and the original volume numbers.  No
> changes in editors are listed and no volume numbers are given beyond
> the original number of volumes in the first edition.  (There were 73
> volumes in the first edition, including some 40+ supplements.)   In
> sum, there are NOT 332 copies of ELIS3 in libraries!
>
> If you search for the 3rd edition title in OCLC you find the same
> small set of records that I have been working off of during this
> whole discussion.  Though they may sometimes handle things as
> continuations, libraries seem not to have done that with this work.
>
> By the way, I certainly value cataloging--I used to teach it, a
> hundred years ago or so.  ;-)
>
> Marcia
>

> --
> Marcia J. Bates, Ph.D.
> Professor Emerita
> Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
> Editor, Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, 3rd Ed.
> Department of Information Studies
> Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
> University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
> Los Angeles, CA 90095-1520 USA
> Tel: 310-206-9353
> Fax: 310-206-4460
> Web: http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/
Karen Weaver, MLS, Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne
University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask] /
Gmail: [log in to unmask]