This maneuver has spread to Michigan. "A free enterprise think tank
in Michigan . . . has made a broad public records request to at least
three in-state universities with departments that specialize in the
study of labor relations, seeking all their emails regarding the
union battle in Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) and MSNBC's
Rachel Maddow." The following link is to the site that first broke
the story:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/in-michigan-conservative-think-tank-seeks-labor-prof-emails.php

Elsa Kramer, M.L.S.
Indiana University SLIS
Indianapolis

>Date:    Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:54:29 -0500
>From:    Sharon McQueen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Academic Freedom & Open Records Laws
>
>Hello All,
>
>LIS educators respect and uphold academic freedom.* The library
>field has struggled to balance privacy issues and open records laws.
>Given this, I am very interested to know what LIS educators think of
>the current national debate on William Cronon (UW-Madison Frederick
>Jackson Turner and Vilas Research Professor of History, Geography,
>and Environmental Studies) and the Open Records Law request for
>emails from his university email account.
>
>Abusing Open Records to Attack Academic Freedom
>http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/2011/03/24/open-records-attack-on-academic-freedom/

. . .