Hello, boozhoo, colleagues,

As a PhD student at UICU, I was a proud Research Associate in the Library
Research Center, working under the direction of Dr. Goldhor for 3 years in
the 1980s, overlapping my time there with Danny Wallace and Rick Rubin. I
remember moving my desk close to Dr. Goldhor's office so that I could
continue to learn from him as he interacted with students, the Illinois
State Library, and colleagues across the state and nation. I treasured the
many conversations Dr. Goldhor and I shared--how he collected published
histories of public libraries (but kept this a secret), how he revered the
experimental method as an approach that examined causality, how he advocated
living in international locations--not just visiting them. He longed to return
to a particular street in Paris and eventually accomplished this in his
70s. He carefully negotiated many phone calls while softly muttering 'mama mia'
after he hung up. I was never the strong, assertive type of woman he admired
but I still hear his voice when I face making key decisions in my life.
I seldom hesitate to make the international connections that he advocated that I
pursue. Dr. Goldhor left his imprint on me and I have continued to share
his messages and influence with my students. He changed my life forever.

Loriene Roy

Professor
School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin
1616 Guadalupe St., Suite #5.202
Austin, TX 78701-1213

Phone: (512) 471-3959; Fax: (512) 471-8285
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~loriene/index.html
Blog: "Pin-ding-u-daud-ewin. To enter into one another's lodges,"
 	http://lorieneroy.blogspot.com/

Project Director, "If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything", a national reading
 	club for Native children: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~ifican
Convener, IFLA, Library Services to Multicultural Populations,
 	Special Interest Group on Indigenous Matters,
 	http://www.ifla.org/en/indigenous-matters
Trustee, LeRoy C. Merritt Humanitarian Fund. Find out more at merrittfund.org
Advisory Board Member, www.webjunction.org