Amnesty International @ UTK, a chapter of the world-wide human rights
organization, is hosting its first ever Human Rights Week at the University
of Tennessee. The week's events cover a variety of topics that will bring
awareness to human rights issues here in the Knoxville community. These
events span the week of April 4th through April 8th, 2011:

Monday, April 4th- Crisis Prevention and Response

            Join us for a film screening of God Grew Tired of Us, a 2006
Sundance award- winning documentary that chronicles the arduous journey of
three young Southern Sudanese men, at 3:30 pm in Hodges Library, Room 252.
Later that evening we are hosting a roundtable discussion with UT
professors, the organization African ELI, and Sudanese students from
Maryville College in the University Center's Shiloh room at 6:00 pm. We will
end our first day of Human Rights Week with a kickoff reception at 7:30 pm
in the University Center Hermitage room, inviting all students, faculty, and
community members.

Tuesday, April 5th- Environmental Justice and Corporate Accountability

            Come discuss why justice and corporate accountability are part
of Amnesty's Demand Dignity Campaign and why it matters in Tennessee after
the screening of Trouble the Water, an Academy Award nominee documentary
film, in the Hodges Library, TBA.

Wednesday, April 6th- Maternal Health

            Every 90 seconds a woman dies from complications of childbirth.
Learn about a pressing issue facing women in our country and around the
world from Dr. Ahsen Chaudhry, a surgeon from Nashville, TN. The event will
take place at 7:00 pm in the Hodges Library Auditorium.

Thursday, April 7th- Immigrant and Refugee Rights

            Hear from UT professors, representatives from Bridge Refugee
Resettlement Agency and the TN Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition in a
panel discussion regarding the challenges immigrants and refugees in our
community face. The event will take place at 7:00 pm in Humanities and
Social Sciences Building, Room 123.

Friday, April 8th- Death Penalty Abolition

            Our final event of Human Rights Week focuses on capital
punishment and the criminal justice system, featuring Pulitzer Prize winning
author, Sister Helen Prejean. Her talk entitled, "Dead Man Walking: The
Journey Continues," is being held at 12:00 pm in the University Center,
Shiloh room. Following the talk, we are hosting a book signing in room 225.

For additional information regarding our events, please contact us at
901-315-3829 or [log in to unmask]