They are still open year round.  Several people have been killed in that cave.

A good friend of mine in the area completes that rappel every year.  He spends several weeks training his team on how to handle different scenarios one might face while ascending or descending the Pit.   This includes but is not limited to switching ropes in absolute darkness while inverted and being doused with cold water.  Perhaps if those chaps would have trained with my buddy Bob Edwards first they would still be alive.  I'm not interested in going to Ellison's and I don't recommend that we visit it either.  We collectively don't have the skill set required to insure that everyone could negotiate it successfully.

It also takes a great investment of time, the caving part of this trip is but one small piece of several other things we could be doing.  While I have never completed the Fantastic Pit rappel I have heard that it is quite the experience.  Good suggestion, just way beyond the scope of this trip in my humble opinion!

-Bosley

From: UT Canoe and Hiking Club Discussion Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Weber, Jesse Clayton
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 2:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pigeon Mountian Adventure - Ellison's Cave??

I guess this email is mostly for Isaac, but it also concerns anyone interested in the Pigeon Mountain Trip:

Do you know anything about the access to Ellison's Cave?
I've never been there, but from what I understand it's a public cave, you just have to drop registration in a box before you enter. But I know that two people died there just a few weeks ago so I don't know if the policy has changed..

The reason I'm wondering is I want to know if anyone would be interested in rappelling the Fantastic Pit, a 586 foot shaft inside Ellison's cave. I think it's the longest freefall drop in any North American cave. This cave requires multiple rappels, but Fantastic is by far the biggest. We would need to scrounge up some extra gear from UTOP or anyone that can lend it to us, because the rappel takes at least 3 ropes. I would have to suggest that we require a rappelling/vertical caving clinic before this trip if we decide to do this cave. I could give the clinic. It would be pretty simple stuff like how to control a rappel and pass knots.
Doing this cave would be a serious undertaking, and we would have to limit the number of people doing it to 5 or less, but I think we could work it into a weekend of other Pigeon Mountain activities.

So.. Whose interested?