Just a friendly reminder about the JC at 3:35 today, Ayres Hall fourth
floor....

SPEAKER: Professor Suzanne Lenhart
TITLE: "Optimal Harvesting in Fishery Models"
ABSTRACT: We discuss two types of partial differential equation models of
fishery harvesting problems.  We consider steady state spatial models and
diffusive spatial-temporal models. We characterize the distribution of
harvest effort which maximizes the harvest yield, and in the steady state
case, also minimizes the cost of the effort.  We show numerical results to
illustrate various cases.  The results inform ongoing debate about the use
of reserves (regions where fishing is not allowed), and are increasingly
relevant as technology enables enforcement of spatially structured harvest
constraints.

Conrad Plaut
Professor, Director of UT Math Honors
Math Department