The following is a press release from the federal Institute of Museum
and Library Services (IMLS). Having trouble viewing this e-mail? Read it
online at http://www.imls.gov/news/2011/030211.shtm
<http://www.imls.gov/news/2011/030211.shtm> .

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 2, 2011

IMLS Press Contacts
202-653-4632
Natasha Marstiller, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Mamie Bittner, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Justice Stephen Breyer Swears-in Susan Hildreth as New Director of IMLS

Legislative, Executive and Judicial Officials Welcome Hildreth to New
Position

  <http://www.imls.gov/news/2011/images/030211_Hildreth_lg.jpg>

Justice Stephen G. Breyer administering the oath of office to Susan H.
Hildreth.
Click image to access a larger version.

Washington, DC-On February 24, 2011, the Honorable Stephen G. Breyer,
Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, administered a
ceremonial oath of office to Susan H. Hildreth, the new Director of the
federal Institute of Museum and Library Services before a gathering of
library and museum leaders, federal and state officials, national
service organizations and congressional staff.

Susan Hildreth noted, "I am so pleased and honored to have this
appointment. I want to make sure we use the power of libraries and
museums to enrich the lives of our citizens. We must ensure that
libraries and museums continue to re-invent themselves to be powerful
forces for the civic life in our communities."

Held at the DC Public Library, Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Branch,
the event included opening remarks by Ginnie Cooper, DC Chief Librarian;
and Rachel Goslins, Executive Director of the President's Committee on
the Arts and Humanities.

Rajiv Shah, Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development;
Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island; Lawrence Strickling, Assistant
Secretary for Communications and Information, NTIA, Commerce; and Doug
Meyers, Chief Executive Officer of the Zoological Society of San Diego
and National Museum and Library Services Board member spoke after the
oath was administered.

Mr. Shah, who served on the Seattle library board when Ms. Hildreth was
recruited to lead the library, spoke about Hildreth's many
accomplishments there and noted, "This Administration deserves the
nation's best librarian to do this work and we look forward to the
brilliance she'll bring to the task here in Washington."

Senator Reed spoke about the recent passage of the reauthorization of
the Museum and Library Services. Reed, the bill's sponsor, noted that
the reauthorization "recognizes the need for better coordination and
updates the law to support the role libraries are playing in education
and workforce development. There are 123,000 libraries and 17,500
museums in the US and each and every one of them plays a central role in
building community participation and a sense of hope and opportunity."

Assistant Secretary Lawrence Strickling, noted "We at the Department of
Commerce are very much partners with IMLS and libraries across the
country in our work to close the digital divide in the US. Libraries
play a critical role in this effort by connecting Americans to the
Internet to access government services, improve education, find jobs,
and create new business opportunities. If people are going to succeed in
today's economy they need to be online and libraries help people get the
training and services they need."

Hildreth <http://www.imls.gov/about/leadership.shtm>  is the fourth
Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services. She began her
career as a branch librarian at the Edison Township Library in New
Jersey. She has held several key leadership positions including
president of the Public Library Association. Prior to her appointment at
IMLS, Susan Hildreth was the city librarian in Seattle for two years.
Hildreth also served for five years as California's state librarian.
Previously, Hildreth was at the San Francisco Public Library, where she
served as deputy director and then city librarian.

The ceremony coincided with a meeting of the National Museum and Library
Services Board held at the agency's Washington, DC office. The board
program featured remarks from Sonal Shah, Director for the White House
Domestic Policy Council's Office of Social Innovation and Civic
Participation. Ms. Shah spoke about White House innovation initiatives
and the role of libraries and museums in helping communities to solve
problems.

IMLS Directors are appointed by the President and confirmed by the
Senate for four-year terms. The position alternates between library and
museum professionals. Her nomination to her new post was confirmed by
the US Senate by unanimous consent on December 22, 2010.

Photos of Susan Hildreth and the ceremony are available here
<http://www.imls.gov/news/2011/030211_photos.shtm> .

About the Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of
federal support for the nation's 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums.
The Institute's mission is to create strong libraries and museums that
connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the
national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to
sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and
innovation; and support professional development. To learn more about
the Institute, please visit http://www.imls.gov <http://www.imls.gov> .