(Please excuse cross-posting)

*Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science Continuing
Education*

* Digital Copyright*

Online (asynchronous)

$250 (Simmons GSLIS Alumni Price $200)
April 1 - April 30, 2011
PDPs: 15

This four-week workshop gives students a hands-on, nonacademic view of
copyright. Bring your own real-life scenarios for class discussion. Who owns
the works I create? When can I use text, images and music created by others?
Learn how to determine if an item is in the public domain. If it is not,
learn how to determine if the library/archive or another user exception in
copyright law allows your use. If the user exceptions don't fit your need,
learn how to make a good faith Fair Use evaluation. Finally, learn some tips
about getting permission to use others' works.

Assignments include: registering for a copyright, creating a creative
commons license for a work you've created, searching the Copyright Clearance
Center (copyright.com) for permissions and designating a copyright agent
with the Copyright Office (optional).

Threaded discussions with classmates and the instructor will be the primary
means of teaching.

Instructor: Mary Minow, J.D., A.M.L.S. is a Library Law consultant at
librarylaw.com.

For additional information or to register see http://gslis.simmons.edu/ce or
contact [log in to unmask]

--