For people who buy it off the news stand in print, as I have months ago ,
the 2011 edition on page 74 actually indicates under "Library &
Information Studies":

"The Top Schools"
"Our ranking is based on a **2008** survey of deans, program
directors, and senior faculty members at 50 schools with accredited
master's programs.

"Specialties"
"The institutions below received the most nominations from survey
respondents at peer institutions for their excellence in a given
specialty."

at the bottom of the page it reads "Methodology" in fine print

"Methodology: The library and information studies program rankings are
based solely on the results of a peer assessment survey.  Respondents
were asked to rate the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1
(marginal) to 5 (outstanding). Scores for each school were totaled and
divided by the number of respondents who rated that school.  The
response rate was 56 percent. Surveys were conducted by Synovate in
the Fall of 2008.  Note: Lists of schools consist of those master's
programs accredited by the American Library Association.  The survey
was sent to the dean of the program, the program director, and a
senior faculty member in each of these programs."

from the 2011 Edition of America's Best Graduate Schools  ISBN 9781931469364
The data here indicates it was actually gathered in Fall of 2008 , not
2009 as you suggest below.  There should be a better way to determine
"best" than a survey by peer assessment.

cheers & Happy St Patrick's Day all,
 Karen Weaver
Karen Weaver, MLS, Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne
University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask] /
Gmail: [log in to unmask]