Two white papers by FSU's Everhart and Mardis included in NSF database

by Bob Branciforte

Two white papers co-authored by Dr. Nancy Everhart
<http://www.palmcenter.fsu.edu/facultystaff.html>  and Dr. Marcia Mardis
<http://directory.slis.fsu.edu/Directory/profile.php?id=158&info=summary
>  of The Florida State University School of Library & Information
Studies have been accepted into the National Science Foundation's (NSF)
prestigious Social, Behavioral, and Economic Science (SBE) database,
"SBE 2020 <http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/all.cfm> ." The database
assists the NSF and policymakers in formulating plans for strategic
scientific thinking and future research funding within and across
disciplines.

Of the 244 white papers accepted into the database, the two authored by
Everhart and Mardis are the only ones that link school libraries to
future research in the social, behavioral and economic science
disciplines. They are titled "From District to Desktop: Making the Most
of Broadband in Schools: A White Paper" and "From Paper to Pixel:
Digital Textbooks in Schools: A White Paper."

"This is a significant accomplishment," said Mardis, who has been
trumpeting the importance of school libraries for improving STEM
[science, technology, engineering and mathematics] education to the NSF
since 1999. "Our acceptance into this database is a sign that they
believe school libraries are very important," she added.

Everhart, who is president of the American Association of School
Librarians, was equally enthusiastic. "The fact that our work at FSU and
the PALM Center is appearing in this NSF outlet shows that we are
researching in areas of national priority. We hope that our colleagues
in library and information studies, as well as other disciplines, will
consider the role that information has on learning at all levels in
schools."

Everhart and Mardis are director and associate director, respectively,
of Partnerships Advancing Library Media (PALM) Center
<http://www.palmcenter.fsu.edu/index.html> . The center works to support
school librarians and other educators in improving their districts and
schools. It is a joint effort of FSU's Learning Systems Institute, its
College of Communication & Information (which includes its School of
Library & Information Studies <http://slis.fsu.edu/> ) and its College
of Education.

"From District to Desktop
<http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/pdfs/Everhart_Nancy_32.pdf> " notes
that the dramatic increase in Internet use in schools in more than 10
years since the adoption of the federal E-rate connectivity assistance
program has resulted in many positive educational benefits, some of
which are improved student achievement, attendance, and graduation
rates, as well as decreased dropout rates. But "if all students are to
realize these outcomes, equitable high-speed Internet and broadband
access is critical."

"Digital textbooks will soon be part of every classroom in the United
States," state the authors in "From Paper to Pixel
<http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/pdfs/Everhart_Nancy_33.pdf> ." "This
trend accompanies an imperative for schools to facilitate 21st century
learning in which educators prepare students to learn and live
productively in a global society where accurate and current information
is a meaningful part of everyday learning. School librarians can be key
players in the successful implementation of digital textbooks."

The full list of white papers in SBE 2020, with abstracts and full text
can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/all.cfm.

Bob Branciforte, MLIS

Creative Director

College of Communication & Information

The Florida State University

E-MAIL

(850) 644-3391                      PHONE

(850) 644-9253                      FAX

Florida State University           ADDRESS

Room 021 LSB

142 Collegiate Loop

PO Box 3062100

Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2100